Dash Lights 83 Rabbit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tollertdi
Cetane Booster

Dash Lights 83 Rabbit

Post by tollertdi »

Looks like my dash light is burned out on my speedomter side. The clock looks OK. I've felt up underneath the dash and I think I feel 3 bulbs in the middle of the dash. Are these the right ones and how do I remove them?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

According to my Bentley manual, the proper procedure was to remove the LH speaker grill and speaker, then reach in and unscre the lights. However, only a 5 year old kid will have a hand that's small enough to fit in that opening. Anytime I've had to replace lamps on my speedo, I just remove the trim flange, and pull the cluster out a bit and change lamps. When I do, I change 100% of the lamps in the cluster so it lasts much longer.

I don't know if you can reach/access the lamps you need from below. Only way to ultimately know if you have the right one is to remove a lamp and see if your cluster stays illuminated the same way or not. Also, the lamps when burned out will probably look dark or have a reflective appearance to it too. Only way to know for sure is to do it yourself. Don't think anyone will be able to tell you over a message board that what you found is exactly what you need. Likely not in this case.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
tollertdi
Cetane Booster

Post by tollertdi »

Thanks for the help. How do the lights come out? Do they screw out counter clockwise or pull straight out?

Incidently the Bentley doesn't really give you any good pictures of the config. The 81 or newer picture looks like it's a picture of a GTI cluster.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I don't remember, but I believe that every cluster I've ever dealt with (foreign and domestic vehicles) have been a twist type for removal.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

lights

Post by FineFrank »

Take off the trim, unscrew the speedo, take out the cluster screws, and it'll come right out. Be careful not to break off the post that you reset the mileage thingie with.
Replace all the bulbs so you don't have to do it again.
Good luck.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Pretty sure they are 1/4 turn to remove/install.
On mine; most of the time the connection is bad and moving them gets them to light back up.
You should be asking how to disconnect the speedometer cable, so you can get the cluster out,.. that's the trick,
the bulbs are easy,.. with a pair of pliers.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Cluster lights

Post by diesel freak »

A quarter turn and they pull out. I check the bulbs with an ohm meter before installing them. If I have conductivity from one side of the bulb to the other they are good to go.