Glow plugs question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Glow plugs question

Post by coke »

I feel like such a frigging noob, but my 91 has treated me well and I haven't had to do jack to it except brake hoses and brake shoes/pads. BUT my glow plugs are fried and she will not start below 30 degrees. It has at least 2 bad ones. I need to know the resistance values for a good plug and what is considered bad so I don't have to tear them all out and check them one by one. If I find the post with the information I shall promptly lock this one. Thanks.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

The easiest way to check them without removing anything is with a clamp-on ammeter. Disconnect temp sensor, turn on glow plugs, let the gauge settle down [about 10- seconds] then read- with them cold they will draw about 7-12 amps each [depends how cold everything is] so 10 A for one, 20 A for two etc. If you don't have a clamp ammeter then the next easy way to check is to remove the buss bar, and use a good 12v test light. Clamp one end of the light to the positive post of your battery. Then touch the end of each glow plug. If it lights, it's good, no light [i.e. no continunity] no good.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

Oh and don't forget to check the glow plug fuse !
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
coke

Post by coke »

Yeah first thing I checked. (Fuse) I can tell at least one of them is working, and I listened as I cranked and cranked as it picked up 1 and 2 cylinders then started on all four.

I'll have to remove the bus and use the test light trick. Thanks, that is indeed what I was looking for. I appreciate your help guys.
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Re: Glow plugs question

Post by VWCaddy »

coke wrote:I feel like such a frigging noob, but my 91 has treated me well and I haven't had to do jack to it except brake hoses and brake shoes/pads. BUT my glow plugs are fried and she will not start below 30 degrees. It has at least 2 bad ones. I need to know the resistance values for a good plug and what is considered bad so I don't have to tear them all out and check them one by one. If I find the post with the information I shall promptly lock this one. Thanks.
Something in the 1 ohm range is good (12 volts / 1 ohm = 12 amps). A dead plug will likely read infinite resistance (open circuit):
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... lugTesting
Last edited by VWCaddy on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Post by wmasscaddy »

My $20 Craftsman multimeter came with a temperature probe. One glow cycle raises the temp aruund the plug enough to notice.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
350,000 + miles lost to broken odo
11mm block, 12mm head
coke

Post by coke »

Yea. I finally found VWCaddy's website and read his writeup on them. Luckily, I was able to dig 2 "unknowns" off the floor in the garage and they both work. Going after two more tomorrow, and going to replace every one of them that is questionable. Then in february when the government gives me a little of my money back I'm gonna slam some new duraterms and possibly injectors in.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

This is one of the easiest ways of testing if they're good..........

Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Great pic :!:
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

The continuity test isn't really very good, I had one test good that method that failed when hooked straight to a battery. I've heard of it happening to other people too.

The best fix is to run a separate wire to each GP, it really helps with troubleshooting. :)
coke

Post by coke »

Okay folks. So, 3 tested good. 1 tested bad.

Only two were actually good, and I replaced both of them with ones I had my hands on and tested.

One behind the pump tested good on the test light, but when I measured resistance, it was 10 instead of hte normal 1ohm. So, out it came and sure as hell, it was bad. Since it was the one directly behind the IP and closest to the cam, I decided to play it safe and when I hooked her to the battery, it was dead.

I now have 4 working plugs and the thing seems to be starting like normal again. Hopefully it'll last me till February, then I'll put 4 new bosch duraterms in.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I only run new GP's behind the pump and old one's on the two right positions. I just can't throw anything out that's still usable. Sometimes I get other people to throw stuff out for me. I'm going to pimp my GP system this spring with connection box I got at Princess Auto. Then it will be a breeze to check each GP with separate connections to each GP. I have a ammeter hooked into a jumper cable. If it doesn't read 45 amps you have dead soldier.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
wolf_walker
Cetane Booster

Post by wolf_walker »

It's always the one behind the IP. I've won money on it before.
Funny how mechanical life works that way.
coke

Post by coke »

Yup. I won't be had again. New ones go in it soon, but all is well now. Starting great again.