'82 Diesel Shift Linkage Bushings

Moderator: Fatmobile

MikeB
Glow Plug

'82 Diesel Shift Linkage Bushings

Post by MikeB »

Hi all:

I have an 82 Diesel Westy with a 1.9TD and a DK Tranny. I have been searching high and low for the rubber bushings for the shift linkage, but have not yet been able to find any. Does anyone in this forum know where I can source them?

Thank you,
Mike
'82 1.9 Turbo Diesel Westy
'85 Vanagon GL
'01 525i - Sport Wagon
'02 330i
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Mike from what I understand they are NLA. If you look over at the Samba, there is some discussion about upgrading to the later linkage and utilizing other bushings to retrofit into your application. Regards.
cgwazda
Glow Plug

Post by cgwazda »

Chester Gwazda
'82 Diesel Westfalia
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

IIRC the diameter of the shift linkage rod is different for the air-cooleds and the '82 diesel. I would assume that the bushing linked would not fit and the information on the site that it fits all vanagon years is incorrect.

I would cut two squares of plastic cutting board, drill a hole in the middle the size of the shift linkage and then cut from the edge of the square on one side straight to each edge of the circle. Overlap the two pieces so the slots go opposite directions and they snugly encircle the shift linkage rod. Screw the block to the frame in the appropriate location.
MikeB
Glow Plug

Post by MikeB »

Libbybapa,

Now THAT's a good idea. Thank you. Ron over at the Road Haus in Montclair JB welded a small piece of metal to the same piece already there housing the NLA bushing. He used a bushing from a bug (readily available anywhere) and so now I have a new set-up that requires the bug bushing. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks again,
Mike
'82 1.9 Turbo Diesel Westy
'85 Vanagon GL
'01 525i - Sport Wagon
'02 330i