Injector fuel line - flexible

Moderator: Fatmobile

bobrabcd
Glow Plug

Injector fuel line - flexible

Post by bobrabcd »

The original fuel line was a composition of rubber and fabric weave. Over time this deteriorates and cracks and leaks. No local shops carried a small diameter fuel line and I couldn't find any online from the auto suppliers. The diameter has to be small in order to fit on the injector nipple and make a tight fit so it doesn't leak. I had a bright idea while looking through a Tower Hobbies model airplane catalog. I figured the model desiel engines used fuel line that would make a perfect fit and would be of the proper composition. I ordered a long piece of it and cut it into the needed lengths. It fits perfectly, works perfectly and hasn't deteriorated. I check it periodically and have extra incase it needs replacing. I had previously tried small diameter surgical tubing, but that seemed to be chemically reactive and would change dimensions with use. Having owned a 1961 Beetle Sunroof for 17 years, it taught me to be innovative with stuff like duct tape and garden wire, :D .
1982 Vanagon Diesel Westfalia
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The stock return injector lines are 3mm ID and still available from a plethora of suppliers. 1/8" ID is a suitable SAE alternative. NAPA stocks diesel compatible 1/8" ID hose. Another alternative is Tygon. I got some recently from McMaster-Carr. It is rated for biodiesel. Seems to work fine although I haven't been using it for a long time.
bobrabcd
Glow Plug

Injector fuel line

Post by bobrabcd »

Thanks. I had tried all the local auto parts including Napa and when i showed them the old small hose I got "no" for an answer. I knew it must be available somewhere.
1982 Vanagon Diesel Westfalia