Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

That really wrecked my day :cry: I had no idea anybody was getting "offended" by this little discussion, I was rather enjoying it since it was full of info.

Hagar says:
SAGA : libbybapa you are most welcome to say anything whatever on my post , and so is all members. WHY ? we all learn from discussions. , SO ? thank you.

hagar.
That means it's okay to discuss stuff.....we're not taking "lessons" and no single person is the "teacher", so we can all post what we want and then get corrected BY ANYONE thus learning something, no?

Please, let's act like adults perhaps?

I will really miss Andrews input and brilliant ideas........and hopefully the nasty PMer grows up and stops behaving like a child.............
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Opinions are just that, opinions, and anyone's opinion should be compared to what we think of how valid that particular opinion is to our situation. Reading what everyone's opinion is on a subject is one of the greatest methods for learning a whole wide spectrum of different ideas and thoughts in ways that we would have never considered.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
wolf_walker
Cetane Booster

Post by wolf_walker »

I think..

Andrew needs a thread of his own wit and wisdom and experience.
Perhaps a counterpoint to the "hillbilly tuning" phenomenon?
Somebody think of a catchy name, I'm all out after a Monday.
81 Caddy D, 601K
73 Mercedes 280
82 Rabbit LS D
tripseven
Diesel Freak

Post by tripseven »

Hey Andrew...come on back to the forum.

Dont let one person send you off or...

Tell the forum who did it so we can all give em a good ol fashioned e-floggin :lol:
Harry
Turbo Charger

Post by Harry »

Hau Kola waste,

I have learned quite a lot from Hagar, at the same time, I have learned quite a lot from Andrew, not to mention Andrew's invaluable help with my busted vibration damper pulley on my Quantum. I will say that I think Andrew's challenging some of Hagar's opinions vigorously has actually been an act of kindness and concern for Hagar and a stimulus for us to think for ourselves.

That said, it is my opinion that the complainant is probably lacking in adult male street testicales and/or a person who is "politically correct". Not my opinion is the fact that a "politically correct" person is a fear-based person, fact! There is a marked difference between lack of tact and peeing in ones' panties. This situation sucks in E-flat.

An old fox and a young lion help keep the balance in creation, to walk in beauty. The sheep are to be eaten! Sort of an old Lakota/Sicilian observation.
83 Quantum TD; 85 Golf; 79 Rabbit 1.6n/a; 81 Dasher wagon 1.6n/a
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

tripseven wrote:Tell the forum who did it so we can all give em a good ol fashioned e-floggin :lol:
I simply post their PM... hiding criticism is for cowards.

If it has any merit, the members will comment.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
jettaman8691
Diesel Freak

Well this sucks!

Post by jettaman8691 »

This forum has been the best place for a DIY'er to get great first-hand information than anywhere else I have been. Good practical applications of knowledge gained from study and experimentation. And we have had the privledge of reading the back-and-forth discussions which only bring more knowledge to the fore.
That one immature individual could intimidate one of the discussion participants is pretty low. Andrew, get back on the horse. Change your email or block IM's, whatever you need to do, but don't let this pinhead stop you. Time will be their undoing. Time.
The only thing that let's evil men triumph is when good men stand aside and do nothing. I am the living embodiment of having been under attack by a co-worker, unbeknownst to me for about a year and a half. But ya know what? He ain't gonna win. I'm still here, and keeping to the high road. He's still the same lying jerk. Always has been, and unless he changes (which is doubtful, but it could happen) he will always be.
It's kind of like the time Winston Churchill got a little tipsy at a party on evening. One of the stuffy old ladies came up to him and said "Winston, you're drunk!". He replied "yes madame, and you are very ugly. However in the morning, I will be sober. You'll still be ugly".
You have the power to simply flick this pest off your shoulder and go on, so do it. Do not let yourself be shoved around by some immature (and most likely underage) idiot.
1986 n/a Jetta
1986 Jetta; gas to n/a
1991 Jetta; gas to turbo diesel
1976 VW Bus; gas
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

It strange to think that the nasty, cowardly PMer is reading all this and hopefully feeling really dumb but will probably never come forward.

Andrew feel free to come on back, yer input is appreciated and needed.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Op-Ivy please disregard the information about playing "Footsy" with your Jetta. to accomplish exactly the same as you and I are doing. . IT is nonsense.. IMHO.

Why does ECO mode work so well ? because VW diesels do not breathe well , a bit of BOOST , even 1 . PSIG makes a world of a difference. The valves are small. The boost improves combustion , the rest you can all figure out. , like complete combustion ? more Smileage EH..? Op-Ivy use Boost to TUNE your Jetta
When you hit 5 to 6 PSIG you got it right.. In Turbo mode you will get 15 PSIG.. (should get).

If Amelia Emhart was trained by hagar ? she would have made it (MIXTURE). she ran out of fuel..

The "Electra" would do way more Smileage than she knew how to do.. Issue was exactly like we face with Rabbits (but no way to pull off the road) I just watched the 2009 video..

Optimum speed , Ground effect if required . Point of no return calculations Did she ? NO.. Noonan should have been a Pilot. . In short she blew it. .(Hero or not).

Now the bad news , our little beauties are at the bottom of efficiency in Diesels "Specific Fuel consumption" is HIGH..

hagar
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

It's been a long time since I've seen the pics of hagars diesel oil - and it's extremely clear for a diesel. If diesel oil gets dirty from the high compression of the diesel engine and the combustion gasses getting past the rings (which is the case), then hagars got something about adjusting timing, boost and fueling to run these pretty lean. Will changing the smoke screw or fuel screw accomplish the same thing?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

Yes Hagar I did install the glowplug fuse. :)

I rigged up a vacuum switch and I have my eco mode working now. I can't get the boost gauge to register with it the solenoid activated though I think I need to switch my lines around a bit. Just filled up my car last night and I'll be able to report my smileage in a few weeks. :)
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : 82vdub no one was more surprised than I was. We all grew up with black lubeoil , and we accepted that as normal (it is) but there are exceptions.. The shades of black go from a Toby (black as tobys butt)

Soot comes from incomplete combustion. and the scraper rings makes it wind up in Pan.. And yes it was all accomplished by running lean.. No soot ? oil stays clean. .Lets take Bunny Bondo , she was a Toby and the Turbo was so sootted up that it hardly turned. After about a year of running LEAN turbo was clean so was block after a few oil changes. , I was running high dispersant (detergent) Oil.. How do I blast the turbine clean ? Simply putting the pedal to the metal sitting parked. 5000 RPM sounds kind of scary.. You guys must use your brains doing it .,condition of engine is important. There is your answer , . Will changing the smoke screw or fuel screw accomplish the same thing? YES.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : by now you all know about Toyota's problems.

You may not know that VW Rabbits had a run-away problem when they were sold in Kanada. This was a long time before I owned one. A woman had one take off at great speed on 401 Toronto.

A major investigation was initiated. by VW and Tranportation , whatever of Kanada. A Rabbit was driven around a track by a professional test driver . They could not dublicate the problem . WHY ? nobody up here was really clued in on Rabbits..
Here is hagars explanation : They tested only good Rabbits , and the problem was only happening to Rabbit with "BLOW_BY".

My funniest tale by far , is my $300 Rabbit Run-Away (next to no brakes) SO how do we handle that situation. ? .

I did the right thing I magaed to stop on side of Hwy 101 going south.. Then I throew the key out the window , and sat back laughfing my head off , waiting for pistons and rods flying all over the place. So you do not think a 1980 Rabbit will do 10 000 RPM ? and survive ? this one did. .

Op-Ivy begin your study of the LDA operation. , spring is around the corner.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Op-Ivy said : I rigged up a vacuum switch and I have my eco
mode working now. I can't get the boost gauge to register with it the
solenoid activated though I think I need to switch my lines around a bit.
Just filled up my car last night and I'll be able to report my smileage in a
few weeks.

The first thing that will happen to you in ECO properly TUNED ? you will think your fuel gauge is stuck at the top.

What distance do you do in a normal day ? I do a lot of short hops say 10 Km. .

hagar.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

I fixed the gauge issue so I can see my boost on both modes. I usually go to Kelowna everyday so a good 40km per day I would say.

I might have a coolant leak that I discovered this morning though. :(
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km