diesel clock

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

diesel freak
Diesel Freak

diesel clock

Post by diesel freak »

Can not seem to find a bend or crack in the cicuit board. Wonder if it is one of the small diodes or relays on the back of the film strip. I called a repair shop and they wanted $100 to fix. Will drive it without the water temp guage for now. At least my clock works. :lol:
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

One of my cars had a couple of wires soldered on to the printed circuit. I'm guessing they used some cold solder glue product. It did work for a while. Then the fuel and heat gauge started acting up. When I took the cluster out it had some burn spots that the PO was trying to jumper over. I think this printed circuit was to far gone to fix but I think a small gap in the printed circuit might be fixable in this way. If you can find it.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

diesel clock

Post by diesel freak »

Do you know if I could buy a new printed circuit board anywhere?
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

My guess would be that the circuit board has been NLA for many years.

There's a very common failure mode with the voltage regulator that has specific symptoms...what exactly is not working on the cluster?
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... lockRepair

And if you can find the crack in the PCB trace, you can get a conductive paint at a good electronics/radio repair shop. I have a small bottle, from Radio Shack as I recall (not sure if they carry it any more), but it looks like a bottle of nail polish and smells about like that too. Paint is loaded with metal particles and when it dries, it leaves a conductive coating.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

Couldn't you use the paint/repair for rear window defrosters? That should work.
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Diesel Clock

Post by diesel freak »

I took the cluster out and wired the clock directly to the battery and it worked so I guess there was either no power to the clock wiring or a break in the circuit board. I soldered a wire to the back of the clock and wired it to my radio hot wire and soldered a wire to the ground wire to the back of the clock eliminating any breaks in the circuit board. All is working for now, will keep you up dated. :lol:
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

I had a broken circuit like that and found it by seeing how far along the path it got until the power ended, turned out the circuit was broken right around where the nut tightens down on the path. A washer under the nut fixed it.....I guess that was for the temp gauge though.