Thinking of converting from CIS to carb

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

When I've seen I-shaft seals blown out;
was when the internal block pressure was high enough to blow it out.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

rabbit_man wrote:Check which way the tensioner was turned. If turned the wrong way the belt will rub the tb cover and wear thin.
Unfortunately, I did not do the job and I expect my mechanic to have tensioned the belt by rotating the tensioner the correct direction. I don't think the tensioner was the real issue, as my mechanic didn't say that he found a poor tensioned belt that likely caused the failure.
fatmobile wrote:When I've seen I-shaft seals blown out;
was when the internal block pressure was high enough to blow it out.
I'll have to look at this issue this weekend (when it's snowing like a banshee).
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

It'll still tension fine if turned counter-clockwise but the tensioner will route the belt slightly different causing the interference.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

I've seen at least one seal work free simply because it was never a particularly tight fit.
Will a belt slip because of oil?
Why would a sprocket rip the teeth off a belt, unless the sprocket [presumably the crank pulley as it carries least teeth] encountered a resistance, such as a valve clash, or seized cam, or tensioner?
Was there any report of damage to the piston crowns?
All UK 1.8 engines were interference, as they were all 10:1 C/R. Or at least up to about 1985.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Quantum-man wrote:I've seen at least one seal work free simply because it was never a particularly tight fit.
Will a belt slip because of oil?
Why would a sprocket rip the teeth off a belt, unless the sprocket [presumably the crank pulley as it carries least teeth] encountered a resistance, such as a valve clash, or seized cam, or tensioner?
Was there any report of damage to the piston crowns?
All UK 1.8 engines were interference, as they were all 10:1 C/R. Or at least up to about 1985.
The car now runs like it did before. I'm sure my mechanic didn't pull the head to investigate any valve/piston interferrence issues, as his data said it was a non interferrence engine. I would think that rotating the engine by hand would have indicated if a kiss of a valve to piston was happening, even by the slightest amount. I don't know which gear stripped the teeth off the belt either. I didn't do the work, so I can't answer any technical questions on what did or didn't happen where.

I have too many to count
Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

Post by Homer T. Coyote »

I have a gasser Caddy that i am definitely going w/ a carb. Probably could fabricate an adaptor and go directly to the stock intake w/ a sidedraft Weber. CIS parts are too expensive. I have also toyed w/ the idea of a Megasquirt. You would have to weld in bungs for the injectors but one could use all of the Chevy sensors for a lot less cash. Just my 2 cents.
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I didn't convert it over to carb for a couple reasons. The main one was that I had lost my window for doing work outside when it's warm and the car ran pretty decent - decent enough for me to just run it. I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of doing a major conversion on my main winter car starting in December and didn't have the time to basically go on a fact finding mission in the middle of some major component change. The engine still hickups here and there and sometimes more than others, but in general, it does run pretty good. It's proven to be reliable, which is definately a very important key item in the old cars I love to drive.

I have too many to count
rs899
Cetane Booster

Post by rs899 »

I think I will go that route as well on the 81 Cabriolet I picked up. Mine has (had?) a rusty fuel system .I picked up a new gas tank and a JH engine complete with all CIS and then I bought a CIS tester. Before I got around to it, I scored a Weber downdraft on a VW manifold locally for a sweet price, so I don't know which way it will turn out. Maybe I will make another halfhearted attempt at CIS, but I'm not going to beat my head against a wall.

Rick
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

rs899 wrote:I think I will go that route as well on the 81 Cabriolet I picked up. Mine has (had?) a rusty fuel system .I picked up a new gas tank and a JH engine complete with all CIS and then I bought a CIS tester. Before I got around to it, I scored a Weber downdraft on a VW manifold locally for a sweet price, so I don't know which way it will turn out. Maybe I will make another halfhearted attempt at CIS, but I'm not going to beat my head against a wall.

Rick
With all new fuel components, you should be good. That means, good pump, good pressure regulator, and a clean tank. The injectors can be a bit gummed up, and it will still run well enough for daily driving. It can be frustrating to work on old CIS with metal tanks/lines, just be sure to start at the tank and make sure everything is copacetic. I even install a small in-line fuel filter before the fuel pump to prevent pump/check valve failure. I think it's a purolator 12111: costs like $3 at Autozone. It's nice insurance on old CIS cars. Also, be sure to get the fuel pressure tester and a good dwellmeter/ohmeter. You'll need it.

Finally, you may want to make your pressure regulator adjustable. Unless you replace EVERY component in the fuel system, the pressure will be a bit wonky. The adjustability makes life easier. And besides, a rebuilt pressure regulator probably would make it run like crap ;-)
Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

I thought w/ all that global warming you guys would be tropical up there in Packer land :) I Understand your situation. I couldn't get fuel out of the distributor. Got a used one w/ the same result so I haven't messed w/ it since I got the diesel. I missed an intake and carb for $75 :cry:
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

As you get older, things change, and one of those is my ability to work outside in the cold temps - even with global warming. Speaking of global warming, maybe in a few years, Miami, Dallas and Atlanta may be good choices for the winter Olympics :D

Someone posted here that the factory carb setups on the old gas Rabbits didn't work well, or had areas where the carb would wear and wouldn't run right. Years ago when I was selling all sorts of intake manifolds online, I had and sold a dual carb weber manifold. Never thought I'd own a gas VW then.

In fact, here's the old intake:

I have too many to count
Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

That is cool 8)
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers