Lost Keys

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lost Keys.

Post by hagar »

avw : asked :
If the keys for a 86 Jetta can't be found, what are the possible options? answer, Drilling is a possible option.....at hagars it is the last option.

Just by chance I have tons of experience with "Cylinder Locks" (never VW). good locks have a special key for removing the cylinder. ,some also have "Master-Key" option. Pins are easy to change to fit a key. google cylinder locks that may be all you need. . You are a flyboy EH ? so you work with a lot of smart guys. (another option.)

No need for keys to get motor going. But now you got me interested SO ? I shall try doing the lock on my # 1 Rabbit. Will let you ALL know what I find.

hagar.
Brit101
Diesel Freak

Post by Brit101 »

Am aware this is a little late, however this fellow has good pictures of where to find dub key codes on our cars.

tp://www.mark1vws.com/id3.html

So it may be of assistance to others who have searched to find an answer to their problem.

Bring the scroll tab about an inch and a third from the bottom to see the location of the key codes.

If you would like a complete set of new locks keyed the same for $29, and it is not available from the forum sponsor, contact me and I will tell you who sells them. They come with new front door handles, trunk lock etc.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lost keys.

Post by hagar »

Fatmobile , where exactly do you drill the locks ? is lock destroyed ? TIA.

hagar
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

There's a section in the Bentley manual that describes where to drill. I've never done it and don't have my Bentley here, but it's in there.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lost keys.

Post by hagar »

82vdub and ALL : I have this feeling that we let him down (we? the forum) . Like 82vdub said the Bentley has a good section on the subject. (we should have told him) . Another "OPTION" ask Jack .

There is a secret source of free fuel EH ? drain the sump on Jets and Turbojets. . Perfect Rabbit feed. (Yes I know for sure) Is that steeling ? EH ? that is a moot question . If I am a passenger I like no water in fuel .

hagar.

PS : I say buy one.---keys or no keys.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:57 pm Post subject: Lost keys.
Fatmobile , where exactly do you drill the locks ? is lock destroyed ? TIA.

hagar
Hagar, this was the link I posted earlier in the thread on where to drill.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4283438

Just in case you want to see what that's about. It does not destroy the lock cylinder or housing.

This is for a MKII I think or maybe a Corrado but they are all very similar.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lost keys.

Post by hagar »

bscutt and 82vdub. : My Bentley shows a simple screw to remove No drilling. . Philips head type.

hagar.

PS : so a Rabbit 1981 lock is simple to remove. EH ?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That screw is removed to pull the plug and electrical part of the switch.
To pull the key part on the other end, drilling the hole and pushing the spring will allow it to pop out and be replaced.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

lost keys.

Post by hagar »

Thank you Fatmobile it is coming in loud and clear. , and the drilling pictures are superb.. bscutt

I am sure many a "Newbie" will appreciate this posting. (discussion) yes I will drill my # 1 Rabbit just for practice.

Thank you again ALL you guys.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lost keys.

Post by hagar »

82vdub yes you were right (as usual) the Bentley does show exactly where to drill a 3 mm hole . hagar was wrong (again).

hagar.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Make sure you drill where it says to for the rabbit, IIRC the dasher is different and probably mk2's are different too.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lost keys.

Post by hagar »

avw : there you go EH ? lots of options. ,The one I like the best ? buy a NEW cylinder ,then you have a brand new one , not an old worn one. . They are cheap.

The sump drain fuel I am thinking about is not stealing. And it is JP-5 which is "Unified" blend for Diesels and Jets.

Remember this is an Ammerikan forum. . Now I am lucky I have an Old friend who is the best "Locksmith" in this neck of the woods (stumps).

hagar.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

It seems to me like draining the sumps (where the water gathers) and pouring it all in the rabbit would get you a tank of water, unless you drain out waaaay too much and separate it again.