replacing headgasket, leave the in/ex intakes on?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jethrobodean
Cetane Booster

replacing headgasket, leave the in/ex intakes on?

Post by jethrobodean »

I need to replace the head gasket because of a oil weep. I want to make this as easy as possible. Can I just unhook the exhaust pipe and leave the intake and exhaust manifold attached to the head and pull all as one unit? or do I have to dismantle them both from the head? Also I need to check my tranny fluid, What size hex wrench is needed to get the plug out?
82 VW rabbit diesel Ls 1.6NA
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Most folks find it easiest to pull the head intact with the manifolds attached.... particularly if you're not planning to disassemble the head further.

The tranny plug is 17mm hex.... some folks just double-nut a 17mm bolt, but the right tool is always a joy. :wink:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Your on track with taking the head off it off the easiest way. There's something that will fit in there. Maybe a wheel bolt. Woops that might be the tranny level check hole.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

surfcam wrote:Maybe a wheel bolt. Woops that might be the tranny level check hole.
Yup... that's a 17mm and will do both the drain and fill/check hole with a couple of double-nuts attached.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You may find that with both manifolds on the head, it's heavy enough to have issues easily installing the head. If that's the case, then you can simply remove the intake and leave the exhaust attached to the head to remove some weight. If you find you have 11mm head bolts, use studs with your reassemble. And, double check to make sure your block deck and head surface are flat.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I did mine with manifolds attached, it's definitely heavy but less trouble than trying to get all those little allen bolts out in my opinion, at least with my big hands. Get a helper if you can so when you put it back on you don't drop it and damage the new head gasket
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I vote:
remove the intake.

It'll make it a bit lighter and
it won't fight with the raintray when using alignment pins (old headbolts cut and slotted) longer than 3/4"

Remember to look closely at how the headgasket sits when centered,
how the edges line up.
Before you put the head on,
and try to make sure it's the same after the head is sat down.
The head gasket can move around some,.. I've taken one apart and could see where the piston was hitting the gasket.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

I vote to leave both manifolds on. Why?
Well:
1) convenience of less bolts to undo.

2) You are taking the head off because of an oil leak, and therefore you either have gasket failure, or gasket failure and a little warpage/corrosion of the head.

If the latter is true then, by removing the manifolds, lightly skimming, and then reassembling the manifolds can, possibly, add new warpage to the head IMO.
Therefore assuming all bolts are tight on manifolds, they hold the head correctly in it's final 'natural' shape. Skim by hand on emery and several layers of plate glass, and a perfect skim can take place.

http://img80.imageshack.us/i/increasedt ... ttvo6.jpg/

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5657 ... adefs6.jpg
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)