Another injection pump rebuild

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

i took the return line off and connected a short hose from the pump straight to a gas can. it still leaks from throttle shaft.

not much info available on the internet for who rebuilds these pump or where to get parts from. would my best bet be to call Giles? is there anyplace in the US that can get the bushing? the place i got my rebuild kit from said they don't work on bosch pumps, and only stocked the kit because its used on other stuff also. they can't look up individual parts.
anyone know the bushing part number??

i blew through the cars return line, and there is a little bit of a restriction. i've noticed this before, i'm thinking of taking out the check valve on the return side...
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

(o\UU/o) wrote: anyone know the bushing part number??
Unfortunately there are several different lengths available... you'll need to measure the one you have. :cry:

Does the shaft actually have appreciable play? Are you absolutely sure you used the right o-ring for the throttle-shaft? I ask only 'cause I've seen this before...there are 3 or 4 in the kit that will work, but only one that's exactly right. The throttle shaft should be very stiff to push back into the bushing.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

To try to find a rebuilder for these pumps, you should be able to find a somewhat local Bosch licensed rebuilder. Any big rig diesel shop should be able to rebuild these pumps. If you look on ebay, skip anything "rebuilt" by prothe. I've never dealt with his products, but haven't heard anything good either. If you have a licensed Bosch shop rebuild it for you, be prepared to spend $750+ on it.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

it was pretty stiff to push the shaft back into the bushing.
i even taped the shaft not to nick the o-ring.
i'm not abusolutely sure i used the right one, there were big, med, small.
i used one of the small ones.
i guess ill go buy another kit, and carefully examine the o-ring sizes.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

If you have a bunch of shaft slop without the o-ring in place you probably do need to R&R the bushing.

If you don't have a bunch of slop you may just have the wrong o-ring.
Vince

2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

See if there is a sharp ridge inside the bushing,
that can ruin the o-ring.
Somewhere on the internet is a bosch service center locator, that can show you the closest bosch service center.
They will find part numbers and have the bushing.
I think the last one I got was $25.

How is the bushing in your spare pump?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

(o\UU/o) wrote:it was pretty stiff to push the shaft back into the bushing.
i even taped the shaft not to nick the o-ring.
i'm not abusolutely sure i used the right one, there were big, med, small.
i used one of the small ones.
i guess ill go buy another kit, and carefully examine the o-ring sizes.

That o ring is a pretty tight fit.

I had to lube it with 30w and give it a little smack. Went right in and no problems.
Diesel Newbedo
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

looking at some new o-rings, there are two that are really really similar. one is just slightly larger so ill try that one.

the bushing in the old pump looks pretty good, the shaft only has some slight rocking in it. ill take a closer look at the one in the car when i get it out.

i'm going to attempt changeing the o-ring with the pump in the car. i can't think why it wouldn't work, and it'll save alot of time.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

(o\UU/o) wrote:
i'm going to attempt changing the o-ring with the pump in the car. i can't think why it wouldn't work, and it'll save alot of time.
Yup, totally do-able... just watch out for dirt dropping in when the lid is off. Folks playing with the governor mod have the in-car swap-over down to a science. ;-)
Vince

1970 Bay Window bus

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I stick a small hose through the output hole and syphen the fuel out before I remove the top.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

i pulled the top off, and checked out the bushing. its pretty marred up, and so is the throttle shaft itself. so i used the cover and throttle shaft from the spare pump i picked up.

i ran it for about 5 minutes and it appeared to be ok...
but, i only installed the one spring under the throttle arm. when i went to put the second spring on, i pulled the arm back off, and it was wet underneath. so its still leaking, but just barely.

i think its ok to drive a little for now. it runs fine, and atleast isn't spewing fuel out the top anymore. i've been riding my motorcycle everywhere and its been getting a little cold. the closest shop with the o-ring kit is about 50 miles away. i'm gonna check with them about the bushing, and probably go ahead and replace it.
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

i found a bushing, for anyone interested, the part number for a 19mm length bushing is 1 460-324-315

the guy at the diesel shop asked me if i had the right tool to install it. i told him i planned on using a bolt, he just about had an aneurysm. it worked fine. i wasn't about to pay their minimum shop rate...

this bushing measures .002", almost .003" smaller than my original pump covers bushing. if i dont go out tonight, ill probably install my original cover with this new bushing. ill post up the results later.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The new bushings I got were metal instead of being brass, like the original bushing.
I bought a few extra o-rings for the accelerator shaft, I go through a few of those.
Also got extra o-rings for around the metal head,..
and a few for the turbo LDA because that's the only one needed for a TD pump that isn't included in the DGK 126 set.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
(o\UU/o)
Cetane Booster

Post by (o\UU/o) »

well i got the bushing insalled last week and everything seems to be ok.

the new bushing is metal instead of brass. fatmobile, do you have seperate part numbers for the throttle shaft o-rings?

this week as i was driving, it dawned on me that i didn't mark the timing belt, and might not have re-installed it the same direction it came off.
so, tonight i put on a new belt.