1984 Rabbit GTi -- Possible TD project?

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

GregA
Diesel Freak

1984 Rabbit GTi -- Possible TD project?

Post by GregA »

Hola, long time no hear! You may recall me from several years ago, when I restored and turbo-ized a 1983 Rabbit diesel (a car I've since much regretted selling):

http://www.gatm.com/cars/17dt4sale.html

Well, I'm back, for a while anyway. I used to have a 1984 Rabbit GTi, another car that I spent considerable time and money restoring. In 2000 I bought a new Audi S4; since I thought I wasn't going to drive it a lot, and since my Dad expressed interest in the car, I gave it to him:

http://www.gatm.com/cars/gti.html

Most unfortunately, I have learned recently that the car was loaned to a brother-in-law, and he basically destroyed it (see bottom of page above). So, now, I'm giving serious thought to rebuilding it as a Rabbit GTD. Or, I may sell it as-is, where-is (Opelousas, Louisiana)...haven't quite decided.

Thoughts involved in such a project? I know these cars well, just looking for some recent feedback on the availability of turbo-diesel drivetrains...

Thanks!

Greg Amy
Middletown, CT
VanBoy
Cetane Booster

Post by VanBoy »

Wow.... that is a nice car.... er... was till "family" got a hold of it.

I'm thinking of "renewing" an old 78 VW Rabbit..... (I have a post of it in this section).

In my neck of the woods, I haven't found much 1.6L TD stuff. One short block on Craigslist listed at $350. Was a runner, but head was cracked and was scrapped. I've only seen a handful of the older VW diesels. Salvage yards, I really haven't gone around to see if they are there or not. (I just got mine last week...)
1999 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L Power Stroke
1990 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L IDI x2
1977 Kenworth K100 Cummins NTC-350
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins NTC-290
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins Formula 290 (ongoing project)
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L (ongoing project)
And a few other gas rigs....