Wow.... this is a pricey Rabbit.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VanBoy
Cetane Booster

Wow.... this is a pricey Rabbit.

Post by VanBoy »

Take a gander at this. And no, it is not mine, but I just wanted people's opinion. Found this trying to see what kind of parts could be around. (Forgive me if this ad is from a member here.....)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1697327792.html

I looked at the ad, and it said "new vacuum pump" in the last 2000 miles. But, looking at the engine pic..... where is it???? I'm new to VW's, but I thought it was something that should be sticking up out of the engine.

I thought the price was a bit steep.... but that's my opinion. Great conditon though.

(I even found another 79- a two door- on Evil bay... was at $2000 and the reserve was not met yet!) :shock:
1999 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L Power Stroke
1990 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L IDI x2
1977 Kenworth K100 Cummins NTC-350
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins NTC-290
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins Formula 290 (ongoing project)
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L (ongoing project)
And a few other gas rigs....
VanBoy
Cetane Booster

Post by VanBoy »

I just did more looking.... I found a 78 VW Rabbit just like mine listed for $1700!!! Granted, it runs.

So, what is the "range" of prices for older VW diesels in your area? On Craigslist, I've seen 1700 all the way up to that 4000 I posed on.

Even saw an ad that said two engines for $300. Granted, it was a 1.5L and a 1.6L. Seller said that you could make one engine from the two.... :shock:
1999 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L Power Stroke
1990 E350 ClubWagon 7.3L IDI x2
1977 Kenworth K100 Cummins NTC-350
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins NTC-290
1977 IH Transtar II Cummins Formula 290 (ongoing project)
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L (ongoing project)
And a few other gas rigs....
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

In this area I have seen them from about $700 needing work on up to about 4K but there's a decent one now on Craiglist (Washington DC) for $1200. BTW making one engine from a 1.5 and a 1.6 isn't very likely since the stroke is different and the heads are different. You might get an 81 11mm head to work on a 1.5 but once you get into the 12mm heads I don't think you can reliably swap things around too much.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, what's that about a new vacuum pump,.. when it has non-power brakes and NO vacuum pump?
What else can we pick apart?
Looks like belt is running off the injection pump sprocket. Could be why he needs an electric fuel pump to keep it primed,.. pump probably needs new seals and bushings.
And is that a filter on the fuel returning to the tank? Haven't seen that before, probably not a bad idea but I don't see it as a good one either.
A coolant resevoir delete,.. I like the resevoirs, especially with the coolant level sender.
Same old crappy fuel line going from filter to pump,.. couldn't get new tubing?
I smell a bad deal.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

OH,OH!!
Check the glow plug fuse,.. bypassed.
HA.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Pricey Rabbit EH ?

Post by hagar »

VanBoy yes. and I do not like the sellers "Attitude" . Look at master cylinder , see any "Booster" ?.

This one is not to my liking..

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

My professional opinion is this. $4100 too high. (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Yeah, no vacuum pump on that puppy, so what did he replace? :(

Electric fuel pump ? ?? No upper timing belt cover? Lets see how long his nice 1.6L engine lasts when something gets flung up in there and tears that belt apart.

What a diesel noob. Go somewhere else and find a real deal hehe. I smell a skunk
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Yeah those vacuum pump delete things are rather expensive and very hard to find. Racers like 'em.

Maybe that was one that never had brake assist.

I've got a '80 gasser and it came factory without a coolant bottle.

I do like the breather hose.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I've got to say it, since nobody has. The car is really worth what someone wil pay for it. It could be for sale forever for $4200 and nobody will buy it, or it could be listed for $5500 and the right person find it at that time and snatch it up. You would be amazed at the stuff I've sold by increasing my asking price after the item didn't sell originally. I gave up trying to figure that stuff out long time ago.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
coke

Post by coke »

Its really just the idea of the dishonesty, I mean.. unless he installed a vacuum pump after the fact and had it for some other task or put power brakes in it. :)

I recently saw an 82 Jetta that was in MINT condition, top to bottom, with something rediculous like less than 50k 1 owner miles on it. The guy was moving to Alaska and couldn't take the car with him for whatever reason and ebay'd it. It went just shy of 4k but it was worth every penny of that, and as my first diesel was an 84 Jetta, and I loved it more than life, I would've paid him promptly whatever price he ask for it.
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

With all the question marks I'd offer him 1/2 of asking. If he takes it buy, if not keep looking.
Diesel Newbedo
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I do like the breather hose.
That is a good example of the hose they put on the 1.5s so oil could return to the block,
instead of being shoved into the intake,.. causing a runaway.
I think there was a recall so this upgraded hose could be installed.

I know where there is a car with the power brake delete setup,
it sure cleans up the engine bay.

The coolant resevoir delete also cleans the bay up but that's going too far for my current taste.
I like the coolant resevoir, can easily check the coolant level,
can check for air bubbles/spurts that could indicate a bad head gasket.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
coke

Post by coke »

Maybe if he is successful in selling it, the lucky (or unlucky) buyer will end up coming here for assistance. :)
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

my 75 Gasser rabbit had no power brake boost and was ok (not great) to stop after redoing the pads and rotors but when I bought it I could put all 205 pounds into the pedal and still glide into intersections whet trying to stop. Would never own one without the brake booster.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Pricey Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

bisquit is right IMHO the VW brakes are super . A Rabbit needs power brakes , There are hydraulic bakes available , they take pressure from the Power steering pump . The $ 4200 Rabbit does not have power brakes IMHO I don't want it either.

He sure got us all thinking EH ? that is good. , coke mentioned that a new owner may show up here , I agree . Reminds me of being a newbie . I just heard from Gary , Bangs in florida he helped me many years ago. Yes we all have to start somewhere. . coke $ 100 is a bit low , lets make $ 150 . (I noticed signs of rust)..

Wonder if it has a 1600 or 1.500 Radiator ?.

hagar.