body styles??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Dallas
Cetane Booster

body styles??

Post by Dallas »

I keep hearing about MkI, MkII etc body styles. Exactly when did VW change from MkI to Mk II and Mk III? I have heard several different years for the changes and can't seem to find out much that is correct.
Dallas
81 Rabbit
80 GL 1100 Gold Wing
92 GL 1500 Gold Wing
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Below is fairly accurate as far as I can tell:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ChassisCode.txt
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Wikipedia has a good article as well... some good tables of engines etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Jetta
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
medwardl
Cetane Booster

Post by medwardl »

I've always liked the MK1 design the most.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Rabbit Mk 1.

Post by hagar »

medwardl you like the Mk.1 ? hagar is your friend , read my lips. on top of that when the SNOW hits Watertown NY. they are a delight.

I have 5 so I do walk the talk EH ? . Stick with it as long as you can , Mine do 64 MPG every day of the week.

hagar.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Don't have any Mk 1 VWs right now, but as I recall, our bone-stock '81 Rabbit would average 52-57mpg on great long winter ski trips from SoCal to the PNW US and BC, even with 4-5 pair of skis in the top-mounted rack. The main fuel mileage variable seemed to be how much of the time we had to spend with front tires chained up while slogging through mountain passes, surrounded by 18-wheelers, also chained up. Great little cars!

Trips on clear, dry roads, of course, gave even better mileage results. The effects of the A1s' light weight on acceleration as well as mileage, was really obvious when I got my first B1, a '79 Dasher sedan (probably 400lbs over the Rabbit). Always slower at the stoplight, and never was able to break into 60mpg with that car.

J.R.
SoCal
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

My machinist had to tell me about the time his family loaded up the '79 dasher diesel and went on vacation.
Had a big laugh about how slow that trip was.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Once these old cars "gather" speed, they do maintain speed fairly well, unless you have decent size hills or any kind of substantial headwind. When I acquired my 82 from my father, it sure was frustrating to drive, because all the cars I owned up to that point would actually accelerate when you depressed the gas pedal. My 82 Rabbit wouldn't necessarily accelerate, depending on road conditions etc, and it took me quite some time to just get used to it.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

82vdub wrote:Once these old cars "gather" speed, they do maintain speed fairly well, unless you have decent size hills or any kind of substantial headwind. When I acquired my 82 from my father, it sure was frustrating to drive, because all the cars I owned up to that point would actually accelerate when you depressed the gas pedal. My 82 Rabbit wouldn't necessarily accelerate, depending on road conditions etc, and it took me quite some time to just get used to it.
I drove a 82 toyota pickup and then a subaru justy, gobs of power there :roll: , I was well aquainted with gutless rigs by the time I got my rabbit.