Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

slowbirds
Cetane Booster

hagar sittin by the fire having a beer

Post by slowbirds »

[img][img]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52 ... C00126.jpg[/img][/img]

Here you can see old hillbilly tuner still kickin on May 07 2010.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : I absolutely , categorically refuse to accept that the UGLY thing sitting in that chair is me hagar.. Must be an impostor.

But V E day 1945 was celebrated with a few pints. (quite a few).. Well lets call it remembered in 2010 . (65 years later) .

hagar.

PS : pamper your Mothers PLEASE .
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Cheers to you Hagar! Wish many of my good relatives & older friends who also undertook the VE efforts were still around to hoist a mug of brew with you. A valiant cause; thank you.

And yes... wifey & Mother were pampered yesterday.

J.R.
SoCal
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I don't know if you were as relaxed as you look in that picture but I wish I had been there enjoying a beer with you. There's just something very peaceful to me about that picture! My mother's day was quite a bit more hectic.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

I was just wondering what George Clooney was doing in your yard. :P
Diesel Newbedo
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Yes I still read you all SO ? why do I not write ? Illness. (and old age).

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : when I was a newbie the forums saved me a lot of grief and money . SO ? I keep this SAGA going hoping it may be of some help.. . It contains a fair amount of practical hints for keeping a Rabbit in top form. I have hundreds of pictures BUT I know not how to post (sorry)

I still get 60 to 64 MPG in normal driving a mix of City and Highway. . No smoke and oil is clean (not like tar)(ink?)

hagar.
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

I've really enjoyed this thread and appreciate everything you have shared.
Diesel Newbedo
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : how many beaches have I seen since 1936 ? many many ,many. BUT none as white as the Quartz beach in 1954.It was blinding WHITE. name ? I forget BUT it was near Pensacola or Panama City Florida. . Granulated pure "Quartz" . perfect blasting media to use on Rusty Rabbits.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : if you are a "NEWBIE" readig this "FORUM" you are on the
right track. IMHO.

Where did I hagar start ? for "DIESEL" I started reading Rudolf Diesel . For "COMBUSTION" ? "Michael Faraday"

"The Chemical History of a Candle" (1860). sorry to say he died in 1867. But his lectures still go on. The lectures became WORLD famous.

Read my lips , Diesel combustion is complex.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : Rabbi-dosious operation of a Rabbit. After many years of fooling around with Rabbits (diesel) , here is my best advice..

Rabbits are old SO ? all of the Rabbit is OLD.. EH ?. OK . get rid ofl problems one at the time. EH ? yes it can be FUN ..

Here is how that works. .Install a brand new starter etc .ets .etc. , then if you have problems on a trip ? IT is NOT a STARTER problem..

Get it ? it worked for me SO ? why not you EH ?.

hagar.
old river rat
Glow Plug

Post by old river rat »

i am rebuilding a vw 1981 1.6 diesel engine and i read in one of your post about using 3M epoxy when installing head gasket. there are many 3 M epoxys, could you post more info as to which epoxy and where to get it and do you just put it on the block or on head and block.

thanks

old river rat
redoing a 1981 vw rabbit. building engine
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum, old river rat (I love that name!). The answer to the epoxy question:
hagar wrote:I use the new 3 notch gaskets regardless , And I never machine Head or Block. . Here at hagars we use abrasive to an absolute minimum . Not to loose a lot of metal and other reasons. (Yes I use 3M Scotch Weld structural Adhesive Tube kit 2216/BA gray ) on block only. it works.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
licnep
Glow Plug
Location: Sarasota, FL (currently traveling: Seward, AK for the summer!)

Post by licnep »

AH! so! i've had this tab open for about 3 weeks now, slowly making my way through the SAGA, and what a journey it has been! quite an initiation, i think anybody who wants to post here should do it. i have learned so much! i should have my rebuilt injectors back any day now and then i can start TUNING the Kid!

this post makes me want a Rabbit of my own! but, the van is much more practical for travel, which is the phase of my life i'm in right now. so! at least i'm blessed with a turbo, though i've paid for it with a grocery list of no good, very bad presents from the guy who put the motor in. it survived my ultimate test, the drive from Fla to Alaska this spring, so i'm feeling really good about the knowledge i've gleaned from this post! my average is about 30mpg, with a fully loaded van on mushy, undersized(but free!) car tires(16" wheels from van cafe should be forthcoming any week now!)

ANYWAY, thank you ALL so much for the thoughts you've deposited here, this forum is a truly great resource for the VW community, Hagar, maybe on my way south this fall i can stop by and thank you in person!

i know i have questions, but they're scattered on the path behind me, i'll let you kids know as they bubble to the surface.

-Bob
--------
'83 Vanagon L w/ an '83 1.6TD transplant from an '83 Quantum---Kid Cassidy, my first VW(likely not my last!)
BlueDog
Turbo Charger

Post by BlueDog »

Hi Bob,
Welcome to the forum. You're right. It's a great learning place for VW diesel owners young and old alike. I could have never resurrected my old VW without help from Hagar and all these guys. Hagar's unique knowledge and willingness to share is incredible. Ed
'89 Jetta 2-dr gasser converted to 1.6L NA
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Platinium
'87 F350 dually 7.3 future project
'79 Mainship Perkins T6.354