"rebuilt " injection pump and still won't start

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

MAF
Cetane Booster

"rebuilt " injection pump and still won't start

Post by MAF »

Group,

timing is good. new injector tips, a known good supply of fuel and the damn thing won't start.

motor ran ok last year when I parked it then I had to F*** with it by adding the A/C back in. Thats when I messed with the injection pump.

How can I test the pump ????

Engine Compression ???? The motor "Starts with a little ether down the manifold.

Preparing to toss it in.....
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I'd recommend to not use either on these diesels. You can break rings if you're not careful.

When you crack loose an injector line, does fuel come out when you crank it with your foot to the floor? How much have you troubleshooted the fuel system to make sure you have fuel at the IP? Is the IP full of fuel? Have you tried rigging up a jar and running the car from a jar of fuel eliminating most of the fueling system to make sure the IP isn't internally stuck?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
MAF
Cetane Booster

Post by MAF »

Yes, to purge the air out I have cracked the lines and turn the engine until fuel comes out.

And I also suspended a fuel supply on a stand next to the vehicle - looks like and I V bag at a hospital.

I think what I am going to try next is test the injectors with the pump one at a time by removing an injector line and removing an injector.

I should get something by cranking the engine !

All I know is before the pump got "rebuilt" and I replaced the injector cones I could sort of start the motor.
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

If you are getting fuel to come out of the pump that is a good start.

We need more information though. Was the engine running with that same pump before it was rebuilt? Is it a different pump? Did it have trouble starting before you put it away?
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

So, you had the pump rebuilt because the motor was hard to start. Was the pump the issue, or were non operational glow plugs or low compression the issue? Since you have fuel coming out of the injector lines, the fuel solenoid is working. The IP vanes may be stuck, or something else going on. If your car has a block heater, plug it in. If it starts easily in two hours of heating the block, you have a glow plug issue. Are you sure you got the pump on correct, and not 180 degrees out? Who rebuilt the pump - Bosch service department or someone else?

I have too many to count
MAF
Cetane Booster

Post by MAF »

I've heard about the pumps going on 180 out . But how ?

The pump shaft has is keyed so the gear can only go on one way.

With the mark on the gear aligned with the mark on the pump it is in the correct position.

Crank at #1 TDC and #1 valves closed with lobes up.

If there is something I am missing please advise.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

From what you describe, you have the pump on correctly. But, who rebuilt the pump? The internals of the pump can be 180 degrees out.

I have too many to count
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Post by TonyB »

One other thing that will prevent it from starting is the ignition switch. I had a bad switch that would energize the fuel solenoid on the IP in the "run" position but not in the "start" position. If I could get it started, it would run fine. Check the voltage to the fuel solenoid when cranking.

TonyB
Jacksonville, FL
81 Dasher 1.6na
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

It started on ether,..
but did it keep running?
Who did the "rebuild"?
When hand cranking,..Does fuel come out of injector line #1,.. when it's supposed to?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
MAF
Cetane Booster

Post by MAF »

I bought a compression tester at Harbor Freight. Not bad for $25.

Cyl #1 400 lb
Cyl #2 400 lb
Cyl #3 450 lb
Cyl #4 400 lb

I think it is the pump... I'm going to see if the pump put out anything on Cyl #1 when it is supposed to by cranking it over manually.

I think a clear piece of tubing should do the trick
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

82vdub wrote: But, who rebuilt the pump?
Fatmobile wrote: Who did the "rebuild"?
We keep asking you this question because there's one specific rebuild vendor with a horrific track record of pumps that won't work right out of the box, and we'll all save some time if we know this is the case right off the bat! :wink:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
MAF
Cetane Booster

Post by MAF »

OK Already !
The pump was rebuilt by a local guy in Drew Park in Tampa, FL who supposedly knows what he is doing.

I think you guys are talking about Proethe ?? Or someone like that name ?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I was more wondering how much of a rebuild it was.
Many people reseal a pump and call it a rebuild.
Does he have a test bench?
Bosch service center guy?

Wondering if it might be 180 out, on the inside.

Clear fuel lines going to and from the "IV bag"?

How easily does it turn over by hand?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
MAF
Cetane Booster

Post by MAF »

Well he did replace the front bushing that was worn.
But honestly I do not believe he has any any equipment to test.
Nope, not a Bosch tech, pretty much shadetree with a good track record.
Can a pump really be assembled 180 out ?
Just regular fuel lines from the fuel IV bag ( actually a big syringe that I refill as it goes down.)
The pump turns over pretty easy.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

To sum up, you're certain that the timing is spot on, your getting fuel to the IP and it's delivering fuel to the injectors, but it still won't start? You've got good compression, so that should be good. Did you plug the block heater in and let the block warm up for a couple hours before trying to start it? Some of these motors won't start without working glow plugs, no matter if you're in Florida or not in the summer. So, unless you know for a fact that the glow plugs are actually glowing, test these too.

If all else fails, maybe you can have the guy come out to see if he can figure things out. Maybe a call to him to ask if he's ever had an issue with assembling the pump internally 180 degrees out. It's been done before, but if you know this, you can install the IP on the motor 180 degrees out of phase with the cam, so now it'll be installed properly.

I have too many to count