Valve spring help!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Jerffry
Glow Plug

Valve spring help!

Post by Jerffry »

I had a timing belt break on my '84 TD Jetta which remarkably only ended up bending a couple valves and breaking off half of a valve shim bucket inside the valve chamber. I took the head off and had the valves replaced but they left the broken piece of the bucket in the valve chamber. I bought a valve spring compressor but can't figure out how to release the spring so I can take it out and reach down in there. I can get the spring down about an inch or so (the compressor doesn't work very well) and I can see a floating cone-shaped spring stop at the top of the stem, which I'm guessing is what I need to remove somehow, but looking at it while the spring is compressed it I can't see how it's done. I'd love some help! Thanks a lot. - Jeff
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Are you saying that there is a piece of bucket behind the valve head?
Can you not compress the springs and remove the collets, by putting piston at TDC?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Quantum-man wrote:by putting piston at TDC?
Very good point! Or, you have to pressurize the cylinder so the valve doesn't fall into the cylinder when you take the spring off.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Jerffry
Glow Plug

Post by Jerffry »

I think I just need to know how to take off the collets! I couldn't see how to do it when I had the spring compressed.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

The valve needs to stay in the closed position, and stick up out of the retainer before the keepers can come out.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Jerffry wrote:I think I just need to know how to take off the collets! I couldn't see how to do it when I had the spring compressed.
A little magnet-on-a-stick works really really well at convincing those metal keepers to release their death-grip on the sides of the valve stem.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Vincent Waldon wrote:A little magnet-on-a-stick works really really well at convincing those metal keepers to release their death-grip on the sides of the valve stem.
I've never gotten this far into an OHC engine, but anytime I work on a US domestic engine, I use a magnet on top of the valve as Vince says and knock the keepers loose. If it's anything like a US domestic engine (with the valvespring held on by a retainer which is held on by the clips), I use an impact socket to fit over the valve and onto the retainer and smack it really hard with a hammer to try to loosen the retainer from the keepers.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Jerffry
Glow Plug

Post by Jerffry »

Thanks everybody! There ended up not being a magnetic connector for the collets on my model... FYI for anyone who cares. On to the next problem!