oil pan replacement proceedure/tips for 81 rabbit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

1984george
Cetane Booster

I'm having a similar problem

Post by 1984george »

I have recently replaced the oil pan and gasket on my '84 Rabbit 1.6. I'm pretty sure it's the same setup. I did this because I was having oil leaks. Now, it's leaking even more than before I replaced it. It's pretty obvious that's where the oil leak is mostly coming from. I need to slow this leak down.....I didn't realize how bad it was until today.

I was successful with a long extension and 10mm socket, 1/4 (?) inch drive as mentioned above for getting the pan off. I feel like when I put the new gasket on and put the pan back on that it was just leaking worse because the gasket wasn't seating well enough.....is there a gasket in a tube that's good for preventing that? I can always drop the pan again and use another new gasket that I have, then seal it with something. I have a bottle of "SEAL ALL" and it is supposed to prevent gas/oil leaks.

And/or could I just seal around the majority of the pan where the bolts are to try and slow down the leak?

This one is a major pisser.
Daren
2003 Jetta TDI, 100k miles
Greasecar Kit
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Leaking from back by the trany?

They make a rubber oil pan gasket.

Buy one for a '98 Jetta, 2.0 ABA block,..
I think that one is rubber and fits our little 1.6s.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

A couple points. First, it's very difficult to change an oil pan gasket and get the sealing surface oil free before installation of the new gasket because of gravity. I'd also recommend you install the oil pan gasket dry, with only RTV at any connection points or where pieces of gaskets meet together. Just a little bit. RTV gets slippery, and people think that it's a miracle product, but by using it over an oil pan gasket, they insure they have to do the job over as the gasket can slip out between the bolts.

Also, are you absolutely positive that it's the oil pan gasket that's leaking and not the carrier or rear main seal?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count