White smoke under load

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Sage Root
Glow Plug

Post by Sage Root »

OK. I got the thing timed today (it was 1.3), set it at .97

The thing that was suprising was how easy the cam sprocket bolt broke loose. The sprocket had apparently slipped a bit since I couldn't get the bar in without adjusting the cam.

Alot of the smoking is gone after the diesel purge, the power is back. Now I am getting some oil smoke. I think it is coming from the turbo. The oil return line from the turbo is another of the previous owners hack jobs and doesn't gravity feed back to the pan ( it is tapped into the block with a little bit of climb in it.

I am hoping that if I can get the oil to drain the seepage will go away.

Sage
82 Westy w/ 1.6 td
Sage Root
Glow Plug

Post by Sage Root »

So the remainder of the smoke is definitely from the turbo. I am going to modify my oil pan to get the return line to gravity flow, but it think the turbo needs a rebuild.

After a little research this doesn't seem to be that difficult. Has anyone here rebuilt a KKK K24? Where is a good place to get the kit? How did the oil drain back on a stock engine?

Thanks again
Sage
82 Westy w/ 1.6 td
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

So, the drain on your turbo is uphill :shock:
With this knowledge, how do you surmise that it needs a rebuild?
Drill and tap your sump, and then recheck.

Do you have simple pressure gauge to monitor if your turbo gives boost?

At least you didn't have to do an uneccessary pump rebuild :wink:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Sage Root
Glow Plug

Post by Sage Root »

Sorry, gues I wasn't clear. I am going to sort out the drain line first, the reasses.

I was thinking of pulling the pan and welding in a bung for the line to attach to. Do you suggest tapping? The pan seems pretty thin for that.
82 Westy w/ 1.6 td
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Sage Root wrote:Sorry, gues I wasn't clear. I am going to sort out the drain line first, the reasses.

I was thinking of pulling the pan and welding in a bung for the line to attach to. Do you suggest tapping? The pan seems pretty thin for that.
Sorry wrong word, just cut a hole after finding a suitable tank fitting.
To tap the sump would require a M20 x 0.05 thread :lol: About a BA 12 pitch.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Sage Root
Glow Plug

Post by Sage Root »

OK, I ran a compression test on the frontmost 2 cylinders (my adapter will not fit behind the injection pump) and then pulled the pan.

Frontmost cyl = 450
Second from the front = 475

Sorry, I still don't have access to my Bentley to know the cylinder #'s (it's actually sitting in a friends van @ GoWesty)

I figure since the thing runs pretty good now, and my partial compression test is OK, it is worth spending the time and money to see if the oil return line from the turbo is causing the smoke.

I have access to a machine shop locally that will do the welding for me.

My question is about the line itself. I have seen a couple of solutions on various forums, but I thought I would ask here. I am leaning towards just adding fittings on pan and turbo that would accept just a regular piece of hydraulic hose (for simplicity sake, and roadside repair if necessary). My other thought is welding in a threaded bung and having a custom hydraulic hose made up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Photos of an existing setup would be helpful as well.

Thanks again
Sage
82 Westy w/ 1.6 td
Sage Root
Glow Plug

Re: White smoke under load

Post by Sage Root »

OK after a long delay I can finally get back to the van.

I got the turbo drain sorted out. While the pan was getting modified I decided to haul the turbo to a shop for an inspection. They disassembled, cleaned and bench tested it and said it is in good shape.

Now I am getting a strange howling sound from the turbo and only about 2 lbs of boost under load.
Here is a link to a video with the sound http://www.vimeo.com/15613119

I have cut the exhaust pipe right after the 180 degree bend and removed the muffler thinking that maybe a mouse packed it full of trash but I still get the same thing.
The turbo that came with the van is a KKK K24. After a bit of research, it sounds like the vanagon came with the K14 in Europe. Is this correct? If so, I think I will start looking for the correct turbo.

I have lots of time to spend on the van in the evenings now and I am excited to get it back on the road.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Sage
82 Westy w/ 1.6 td