dial indicator adapter question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hjalbert
Turbo Charger

dial indicator adapter question

Post by hjalbert »

Hey I have a favor to ask whoever can comply. I lost the adapter needle thing that threads into the dial indicator to set static timing, and am making a new one. Can someone please measure theirs sad tell me how long it needs to be? Or even better, how far it needs to protrude past the end of the threads of the adapter that threads into the pumps head. (In case there are different size adapters.) Thanks!
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

About half way down the page posted by Tawney. I think someone even posted that they made one out of a piece of wood and had pics. You could search for that.

viewtopic.php?t=771&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

Thanks. I was able to use a little piece of threaded rod from a butterfly bolt ground the threads off the end and used a die to put #4 threads on it. My timing was at .025"..... I'm pretty sure I have a yellow dot pump. Waiting on the new injector nozzles that I ordered before putting everything back together. I've already installed an ip pressure gauge in the center console. Adjusting that piston definitly has a huge effect on pump timing, and flow. Seems kind like a chicken or egg deal. Your supposed to set the full load screw before you set the pressure screw, according to a link andrew posted, anyway. Ill update.
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010