need an electrical wizard and or a vwjunk yard in newengland

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

inthar
Glow Plug

Post by inthar »

This is the second time i've melted my headlight switch. there is already some slight rigging in the wiring. dealing with this stuff is not really my forte.
I'll be driving around vermont and maine and everywhere between with my canoe and visting friends along the way for the next month before heading back home to Pittsburgh. Sure would be nice to have headlights.
Also I brought along a lot of tools for different jobs I've got along the way. If anyone out there has the wearwithall to track down some bad wiring they could put me to work.
email is spotty on the road so feel free to call 412.805.0500.

also if anyone knows of any junk yards or folx sitting on various parts in new england that could be helpful too.
Thanks, Niko

85 vw golf
1.6 diesel 5sp.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Welcome to the forum. VWcaddy sells a headlight relay wiring kit (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... ingHarness) that bypasses the factory wiring and eliminates the problems you are having. Unfortunately, as these cars age, the wiring in them also ages and can leave electrical systems with higher resistances. The factory wiring runs all the power to the headlights through the headlight switch. By installing relays, you will use the factory wiring to energize relays, which energize a circuit that's wired directly from the battery to the headlights. This results in brighter headlights, and very low power running through the headlight switch. If You may also be able to buy a headlight relay kit from national parts chain stores, but I'm not certain of this.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

If you're running through CT, there's this guy Marc near the shoreline (and I-95). He's got a basement full of diesel parts.

His number is (860) 663-4208
Fisher
Cetane Booster

Post by Fisher »

Morgan's Auto Parts, they specialize in used VW Parts and they know the old ones. They're in New Castle, DE.

www.morganvwparts.com
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

I've got the 4crawler relay kit on my Jetta - GREAT investment. Super easy to install and you never have to worry about frying your headlight switch afterwards. Definitely results in brighter headlights too (and with Halogen bulbs that actually means they last longer)
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta