Radiator

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Radiator

Post by diesel freak »

My radiator is leaking from the welds on my 1986 Golf Diesel. I am wondering what the difference is between the $100 dollar radiator and the $175 dollar radiator. Can someone recommend if I should invest in the more expensive one or will the cheaper one do the same job?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Unfortunately, there's not really enough information to give any answers to this question. The cost could be different because the radiators are made by two different companies, or sold by two different retailers. But, more than likely, it will have to do with the type of material the radiator is constructed with, and how many cores it has. Can you supply any more information on the two radiators in question?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

What sort of radiator do you have now? Is it a plastic/aluminum one or the good old copper brass unit? If copper brass, consider taking it to a local rad. shop and have them repair it. Easy enough to solder the seams up and even have it rodded out and if needed a core replaced or upgraded.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Or, you can buy one of my 100% good and tested radiators for $40. :D

If by some crazy reason it fails in the next 2 months, I'll give you 2 more tested radiators FREE (shipping not included).
diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Radiator

Post by diesel freak »

Mine is the cheap plastic sides with aluminium core. I replaced the original some 20 yrs back.