93 TD Dies on Hwy. No fuel in filter or Inj. Pump

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Brit101
Diesel Freak

93 TD Dies on Hwy. No fuel in filter or Inj. Pump

Post by Brit101 »

My friend'd 93 TD died and he found there was no fuel in the pump or the fuel filter. Filled both and loosened the hard lines at the injectors to bleed the air out. It barely idled. He left it for a while. Then it fired right up.

Would any experts out there know the cause of these issues?

Thank you in advance
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Sounds like either there was no fuel in the tank (faulty gauge), or possibly a fuel blockage. If you let the car sit for a while, any vacuum built up in the tank or fuel line would likely slowly equalize, allowing fuel to flow for a while longer. Installing a vacuum gauge on the fuel supply line will tell you if you have a blockage somewhere that's causing a vacuum to develop over time and if enough vacuum develops, the IP won't be able to pull fuel and the engine will die.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Drive for awhile then pull the fuel fill cap,.. and see if air gets sucked in.

Tank vent might be clogged.
A vacuum gauge will help track down the problem.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Possibility?

Don't know if this applies to your '93TD, but sometimes glop forms around the (hydrophobic)outlet filter screen in the tank, but after sitting for a bit, it loosens enough to permit a period of low-demand fuel flow... for awhile. Solution is to clean or replace the bag-shaped filter element.

Couldn't see that part on the ETKA, but that doesn't mean it's not supposed to be there.
J.R.
SoCal
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

Post by 81caddyGuy »

could be a clogged fuel filter as well if they get plugged it wil flow slow as well. Mine did the same with bad diesel from shitco i was 70 mile from home on the side of the interstate. I had enought tools to pull the suction line from the tank (bone dry) I blew thru it back to the tank till i looked like a smurf. hooked the line back up and cranked the engine for about 15 seconds (self priming fuel sytem) and it fired up and drove home with no problems. I pulled the tank when i got home and sucked smoe nasty sludge out of the tank and some 29 year old rust as well. cleand the screen and see runs like a top now. Just my 2cents but maybe a thought for you? keep it simple try to run with the fuel cap loose. if still starving for fuel change the fuel filter and retest. if still issues visualy inspect the lines under the car for kinks from road debris impacts. if none there is blockage in your tank.
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
Brit101
Diesel Freak

Post by Brit101 »

Thank you all, will send the latest reply to my friend.