vent windows

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

vent glue

Post by 81caddyGuy »

I glued the windows last night and have them clamped right now. the manufature said working strength in about twenty minutes and full bond in 24 hours. so tonight i will know if i have reached an end to the frustrating task of sticking the windows. :D :D :D
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

Post by 81caddyGuy »

SOLUTION FOUND!!!! or at least I hope but it looks good so far. I unclamped the hinges and played with the window a little, then a little more and then pushed so hard against the hinges i thought I was gonna break the glass. :shock: Time will tell for sure but I will repeat what the adhesive manufature said 99.9% sure it will hold I have never felt a bond this solid on these windows EVER!!!!!!!
'81 caddy NA 1.6L all original w/317,000 miles. SOLD. now i drive a 35th anniversary camaro... OHH thats what horse power feels like.. LOL
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

That is good news to a lot of VW owners!
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

quantity

Post by 81caddyGuy »

I hope so because I had to order a pretty large amount. Now I need to find some small containers to put it into single use quantities for distribution to VeeDub owners. :roll:
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I'm definitely interested in a quantity of it. I have two rabbits to do, all hinges and latches. PM me with cost when you are ready to sell some please.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

quantities

Post by 81caddyGuy »

OK I will do that. I found a source for some containers for the adhesive I just need to verfy for the activator. It is solvent free but i dont know about plastic cause it came in a glass vial.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

so it this still olding up for you? I PM'd you about it too.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

still holding

Post by 81caddyGuy »

Still holding great. I have not been able to get the containers yet as income has dropped to $25 per week. Should pick back up before the end of the month.
hjalbert
Turbo Charger

Post by hjalbert »

saw where someone said they tried to drill and glass shattered. What about using a drill bit made for tile/glass? I have watched the guys who install the frameless glass shower doors at some of our jobs and they drill through the glass to mount the hinges. Granted, its new glass, and maybe tempered or shatter proof or whatever, but i know I can drill through glass tiles with a tile bit.
1980 two door dasher
1982 Isuzu Pup 4x4 diesel work truck
1968 red Baja Bug-stolen 4-12-2010
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I'm sure with the right equipment it can be done but a hand drill or even a drill press might not be the right solution. I'll try to remember to ask the guys at the glass shop next time I have to go there.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Old Guy
Glow Plug

Re: still holding

Post by Old Guy »

81caddyGuy wrote:Still holding great. I have not been able to get the containers yet as income has dropped to $25 per week. Should pick back up before the end of the month.
Please let me know if you can send some my way. Willing to paypal, let me know how much.

You could make a killing on the Tex selling this stuff.
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

hjalbert wrote:saw where someone said they tried to drill and glass shattered. What about using a drill bit made for tile/glass? I have watched the guys who install the frameless glass shower doors at some of our jobs and they drill through the glass to mount the hinges. Granted, its new glass, and maybe tempered or shatter proof or whatever, but i know I can drill through glass tiles with a tile bit.
I used a glass bit (one of those pointed type) when I tried mine and the instant the point scratched the surface of the vent window, it shattered into a million pieces. Might need to use some sort of round tube type abrasive drill or even anneal the glass before drilling then temper it again after drilling.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

glue failed

Post by 81caddyGuy »

So the glue held great untill last week then failed. I have the chemist from the maufacturer working on a new batch. He has the glass and complete frame with upper and lower pivots. I swapped to fixed windows from a junk yard donor car for $10 out the gate both windows and seals. If the chemist comes back with a match i will reinstall one of the vents and run it some more to see if it holds.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Still interested in this adhesive, hope he comes up with a batch that works. I forget what I used last time but it also held for several weeks and then the bottom pivot gave out. Those get very stiff over time and I suspect it turned loose because that pivot just took too much torque to turn. I may have used Devcon 5 minute epoxy after lots of cleaning. Whatever I used I left everything clamped for 72 hours before trying to move it. Whatever the factory used must have been pretty good since it lasted several years before giving out. It sure would be nice to have working vent windows again!
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
81caddyGuy
Diesel Freak

more glue

Post by 81caddyGuy »

thats for sure. I am missing the the locking tabs for mine so i had some universal vent window locks to hold them in, good thing too cause it would have hit the highway last time when the adhesive went out. Knowing the germans the stuff they used to hold the vent windows in was was probabaly some shit that when everyone found out what they were using they had to stop making it because of how dangerous it was. Just goes to show they dont make anything like they used to.