1982 Westy diesel coolant overflow reservoir

Moderator: Fatmobile

jonglasel
Glow Plug

1982 Westy diesel coolant overflow reservoir

Post by jonglasel »

just wondering if anyone knows where to find a 1982 diesel coolant overflow reservoir. everything that I have found with the 1983-1991 coolant reservoirs for the waterboxers looks like it is the same tank, but the part numbers are different. i have been running the westy for about 600 miles now without the tank, and it works, but i occasionally leave puddles of coolant when i park on hot days, and have to keep bleeding the system as air gets in through my pressure release in the pressure tank. otherwise, if anyone has had any luck with any other part your ideas would be welcome. thanks.
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Are you talking about the overflow tank mounted by the license plate door?
jonglasel
Glow Plug

Post by jonglasel »

Yes, the tank behind the license plate.
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

I don't see a good reason why the later one would not work looking at the ETKA. The diesel one was a unique number 068 121 405 A. It screwed to the rear valance with 3 screws. The later tank, 025 121 403 looks like it also mounts to the rear valance with 3 screws. If you get the later tank, and the screws do not line up, you can just mark the sheet metal in the valance and make new holes. You might also look at a universal tank at an auto parts place. They all work the same. It is very convenient to have the access through the license plate. Regards
jonglasel
Glow Plug

Post by jonglasel »

thanks much.
leedavis
Glow Plug

Post by leedavis »

A universal tank for the coolant reservoir? Where can I get that? Does it have a particular part number or something? Thanks
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

I may have been incorrect with my above advice. I recently saw a picture of a later model overflow tank an it appeard to be in a bracket of some sort. In the picture it seemed to fit more centered in the license plate door as well. I think a bracket could still be fabricated if you have the tank. I adapted a pressure tank from a late model Jetta with some basic homemade brackets.

As it relates to a universal overflow tank. There are fancy aluminum ones that are used in offroad/racing vehicles, but I have seen plastic ones at the local chain parts houses. It needs a simple cap and a fitting at the bottom for the hose to connect, but be submerged by coolant. mark