1.6 Diesel starts hard after fuel filter change

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tonbra
Glow Plug

1.6 Diesel starts hard after fuel filter change

Post by tonbra »

OK- I am beside myself with frustration. My car now takes about 30 seconds to crank after I changed my fuel filter

Heres the story- I took my (new remfg) pump in last week to get the cold start advance working. They discovered some debris (rust) in the plugging the return. They fixed that and the cold start and tested the pump- working great. They told me to also change the fuel filter if I have not in a while.

I put the pump on, timed it, etc. I also changed the fuel filter ( I have no idea how old it was). The car now takes about 30 seconds to crank before starting. Prior to removing the pump and changing the fuel filter, all I had to do was touch the key for a second and the engine would start.

When the car is running- it runs great! plenty of power. I see NO air bubbling in my sight tube while the car is running. When I shut it off, I can see some air moving back toward the filter. I vacuum tested the line from the IP to behind the fuel filter- no problems. I pulled the fuel line from behind the fuel filter and ran it directly to the IP- NO PROBLEMS- car starts completely normal after bypassing the fuel filter housing. I changed the fuel filter again and hooked everything back up. Now I am back to 30 seconds of cranking before the car will start.

Seems like I have some sort of problem at the filter housing but I cant figure what it is- Any suggestions?
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

First things first... what year/model of car are we talking about? :wink:

Secondly... does your fuel filter have a return tee with ports for the return lines as well is the inlet lines, and if so... did you replace the o-rings on the return T when you changed out the filter?
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
tonbra
Glow Plug

1.6l Diesel starts hard after filter change

Post by tonbra »

OK- Is an '82 1.6L diesel. The housing is mounts to the wheel well and only has an inlet and outlet. The filter spins on the bottom of the housing. The inlet of the housing is a banjo fitting with what look like copper washers. The outlet is just a barb.

Drove it more today- hard starts even just after 10 minutes of sitting. Defineltly getting air into the filter that the pump has to suck out. When running however, there are no air bubbles.

One other thing- all 4 GP are fairly new and all tested OK according to Bently diagnostic proceedure.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Sounds like something wrong with the fuel filter.
maybe the water drain isn't tight.
Or the air bleed on top might not be sealing,...
or it could be a copper washer,..
did you remove those?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
tonbra
Glow Plug

Post by tonbra »

Yep- I think it may have been the copper gaskets suddenly went bad. I ended up over the weekend pulling the whole filter housing and filter and useing a diesel filter and housing I picked up from a farm supply store a while ago. This housing and filter are about the same size as the old and filter to 10 microns. Flow should actually be a little better than stock. Anyway, I put this in and once the air was bled out, it now appears to be working perfectly.