what tool to remove injectors?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

bscutt wrote:Craftsman 12pt 1 1/16 deep socket. 1 1/16 = 27mm (brand isn't important but that's what I have) Works every time.

the 12pt allows enough clearance for the two fuel barbs.
Thats what I got.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

I have a 28mm snap-on socket; with a strip of baked bean tin liner :mrgreen:
Snug as a pea in a pod :D
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
doonboggle
Cetane Booster

Uhhh ... dum-dum here ... wanting to make sure of advice...

Post by doonboggle »

JUST the thread I've been thinking of trying to find ... and of all days to find it, the rabbit p/u is in the shop and not at home so that I can reconnoiter the discussion subject.

OK ... here's the 'dum-dum' question of the day ... from this 'old phart'.
Regarding ... " push and pull" ... means what???

From the perspective of standing in front of the p/u, if I put the socket STRAIGHT ON an injector (or spark plug), I've always been inclined to try and hold the ratchet or breaker bar angled in the same direction as the socket.

So am I correct that others actually 'push' ... or 'pull' ... against the angle of the socket ... thus cracking the threaded hole for the injector?

I've never done this before, but that's how I see it should be done ... follow the angle ... unless I missed something.

"Learning all the time!"

TIA
1981 Rabbit diesel 1.6L pickup
2006 Jetta TDI
1971 Karman Ghia convertible
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: Uhhh ... dum-dum here ... wanting to make sure of advice

Post by Quantum-man »

doonboggle wrote:JUST the thread I've been thinking of trying to find ... and of all days to find it, the rabbit p/u is in the shop and not at home so that I can reconnoiter the discussion subject.

OK ... here's the 'dum-dum' question of the day ... from this 'old phart'.
Regarding ... " push and pull" ... means what???

From the perspective of standing in front of the p/u, if I put the socket STRAIGHT ON an injector (or spark plug), I've always been inclined to try and hold the ratchet or breaker bar angled in the same direction as the socket.

So am I correct that others actually 'push' ... or 'pull' ... against the angle of the socket ... thus cracking the threaded hole for the injector?

I've never done this before, but that's how I see it should be done ... follow the angle ... unless I missed something.

"Learning all the time!"

TIA

It's all about unwanted leverage. Imagine a nice snug socket with a 12" extension bar on it, but no wratchet.
Grabbing the end, and pushing or pulling will give you pure leverage with no torque. All leverage is unwanted.
Aparently the thin part of the threaded boss will readily break out with this leverage pulling away from the engine, effectively towards the pump.
It will probably break with greater leverage when pushing towards the engine. I, myself, feel that it may be strongest when levering inline with the engine.
Of course we don't want any leverage if we can help it, but some creeps in when struggling with a well bonded injector, when using a wrench.
THe air wratchet produces minimal leverage and plenty of torque. It's only downside is that it can easily over do it, and undo even when binding for several turns, and can strip the threads.
A T bar can be successfu in that you can make like cutting a thread tap, and go to and fro very gradually. I believe that the flexi joint can cut out most of the unwanted leverage...
I hope this expains what I feel I know about the topic :wink:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)