Holding Crank on TDC while setting IP--'83 Quantum TD?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Harry
Turbo Charger

Holding Crank on TDC while setting IP--'83 Quantum TD?

Post by Harry »

So, with the cam plate in the slot and the IP tool in its hole, and with the Cam gear loose, and the TDC mark on the Flywheel at the pointer, then tension up the belt, THEN after I tighten the cam gear back up everything is on the "mark" except the d----d Flywheel TDC mark in relation to the pointer. It moves off a small bit, usually looks a smidgeon advanced, maybe I'm retarded, beginning to wonder.

Is there a way to hold the Flywheel at the pointer, engine still in the car?

Going nuts in the mountains,
Thanks, Harry
83 Quantum TD; 85 Golf; 79 Rabbit 1.6n/a; 81 Dasher wagon 1.6n/a
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Remove pump locking bolt, just use pump pulley mark as rough guide to set pump. Pump will be swung one way or the other when setting timing exactly in any event.

Assuming not automatic, put car into 1st gear once set to TDC on flywheel. After tightening tensioner with hands, then locking nut, lightly tighten cam sprocket. . Remove cam locking bar , then [whilst in gear, tap a spanneron the cam bolt sharply to set it. Now out of gear ,and rotate engine with spanner on crank bolt clockise and recheck TDC on flywheel andand cam locking bar should reinsert. Do not use pump locking bolt
Last edited by Quantum-man on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Harry
Turbo Charger

Post by Harry »

Ah, I forgot, put the thing in 1st gear. I agree with your directions. And never reverse rotate the engine on crank bolt, sempre avanti, always clockwise. A friend of mine once reverse rotated his engine. Disaster ensued 2 days later, crank sprocket came loose. Grenade.

Thanks, Harry
83 Quantum TD; 85 Golf; 79 Rabbit 1.6n/a; 81 Dasher wagon 1.6n/a
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Post by TonyB »

I've always found it easy to put the car in 4th gear (4 speed), jack up one wheel, and turn the tire. By just "bumping" the wheel you can make a very fine adjustment to get the flywheel dead on TDC. If it moves while you're setting the timing, just nudge it back.

81 Dasher 1.6na