Engine Buildup: Building a performance Diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

My current plan of attack:

I have pulled a Garret TB25 turbo off of a Saab 900, which gives no more boost than 12 psi, I plan to adjust the spring for only 9-10 PSI max, with a blow off valve and wastegate, the blow off valve is simply to protect the engine as this is a non-turbo engine, so I am keeping overall boost pressure as low as possible.

First step is sort of Eco-diesel-ish: Built a basic turbo engine with a non-turbo injection pump.

I have tested the propane injection system just to look at performance variable, I noticed a boost in power, some more smoke on acceleration (I believe it is cooking of carbon buildup in the cylinders), but otherwise no change in internal temperatures under load. Temperature was checked via both the internal gauge and a laser thermometer on the block/head/and radiator

Next test will be water/methanol injection before I install the turbocharger
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

I wouldn't worry about the blowoff valve at all - it can do a lot of damage to your turbo if it's opening regularly as it'll overspeed your turbo quite significantly. I have no idea what the VW engineers were trying to achieve when fitting them to the original 1.6 TD's...

If anything you're more likely to ingest turbo parts and munch your engine than hurt your engine with too much boost in the configuration you're describing. Lots of NA folks on here running much more boost than that on otherwise unmodified engines.
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

vanbcguy wrote:I wouldn't worry about the blowoff valve at all - it can do a lot of damage to your turbo if it's opening regularly as it'll overspeed your turbo quite significantly. I have no idea what the VW engineers were trying to achieve when fitting them to the original 1.6 TD's...

If anything you're more likely to ingest turbo parts and munch your engine than hurt your engine with too much boost in the configuration you're describing. Lots of NA folks on here running much more boost than that on otherwise unmodified engines.
Ok! Thanks for this, so I will avoid the blow off valve unless I see significant issues, but what you say makes sense, especially since the Saab turbo wastegate spring is already set to open above 12 psi
UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

Thought someone might like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzz5AOYepc

It is me, using my Oscilloscope to find out if I have the W terminal for the tachometer on my rabbit.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Looks like an old 464 or 475 scope. Nice video
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

bscutt wrote:Looks like an old 464 or 475 scope. Nice video
Tektronix 465 20 Mhz Scope. Works awesome, and has helped a lot with many projects
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Yep among other things I manage test equipment at my company and have been involved in calibration for 35 years. Thought it looked very familiar. I still have a 475 in my inventory.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

bscutt wrote:Yep among other things I manage test equipment at my company and have been involved in calibration for 35 years. Thought it looked very familiar. I still have a 475 in my inventory.
Mine I found in a thrift shop, which was awesome. Really helps troubleshoot clock and microcontroller issues
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

I have an ancient thrift-shop scope too... mine is pure tube though. Kinda useless, absolutely huge, but beautiful!
-Bryn

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Performance diesel.

Post by hagar »

vanbcguy do not poo poo that old scope so fast. If it works it is perfect for checking Alternators..

Output is 3 phace 400 HZ . scope will show if all 6 diodes work. Post the model number it may be my generation type. (Tubes are ok).

hagar.

PS : I do like those small dual beam Tecktronix.
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

Hey hagar, it's an RCA WO-91B... 100kHz...

It does work, just not incredibly well. I have it more to look at than anything!! I'm actually hesitant to use it much as finding tubes is getting harder and harder these days... Don't want it to wear out!

It is lovely to look at hooked up to an audio signal though when music is playing...
-Bryn

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Performance diesel.

Post by hagar »

vanbcguy : I have hundreds and hundreds of tubes . Any that will fit your scope is yours for free.

It was a popular model at one time.

hagar.
UB3RATL4Sf00
Diesel Freak

Post by UB3RATL4Sf00 »

Classical music by far looks best on an o-scope
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

Just a tektronics 545 B with type 1A2 dual trace plug in unit sitting downstairs .