Dasher window problem

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

TonyB
Cetane Booster

Dasher window problem

Post by TonyB »

This isn't strictly an engine question but I don't know where else to turn. My 81 Dasher Diesel 4D windows are all frozen in the "up" position. It appears from what I can see that the metal channel along the bottom of the window has rusted badly and is frozen by the rust to the window regulator mechanism. I read in the Bentley that one must lower the window to remove it and the regulator, but that's impossible. Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to get the parts out of the door without destroying them? Thanks.

TonyB
Jacksonville, FL
81 Dasher 1.6na
81 Rabbit Pickup 1.6na
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Sometimes, you can slip your hand up in the door frame with a 10mm Gearwrench, and loosen the bolts that hold the channel to the regulator.

If you are able to do that, then you can pull out the regulator.

Dasher regulators will probably be hard to find. You should be able to salvage them by soaking the track with Aero-Kroil. It's a penetrating oil that's about the best there is (and yes, it's better than PB blaster by a long shot according to independent tests).

You can find Kroil online. It's pricey, but there really is nothing better (in my mind).

I just soaked some rusted-a$$ exhaust manifold nuts and bolts for about a week with the stuff. They came off like butter.
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Post by TonyB »

Thanks, QTD. If I can get this thing apart, I can get the rust off - I use electrolysis and it works really well. The regulators look just fine - it's the channel thats rusty. I will take a closer look to see if I can get to the channel-to-regulator fasteners. Appreciate the advice! Oh, and I agree 100% on the Aero-Kroil - I use it on my airplane.

TonyB
81 Dasher
81 Caddy
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

By channel, do you mean the vertical piece the glass slides in, or the horizontal piece that the holds the glass to the regulator? If it's the latter, then you can find new ones pretty cheap. They're made in China, and the fit is not perfect, but they work fine.

Your Bently manual should have instructions on where to mount them on the glass (if they're different from your originals). I just whack them on with a rubber hammer.
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Post by TonyB »

Thanks again. It IS the horizontal piece that attaches to the regulator. All 4 of mine are just a mass of rust. I hope to try and separate from the regulator this weekend.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

Dasher Owners Group website may have some help for you also. http://dog.mp3equipped.com/dog/
J.R.
SoCal
TonyB
Cetane Booster

Post by TonyB »

Thank you for the tip on the Dasher Owners Group. I was not aware of them!

TonyB
81 Dasher
81 Caddy