Timming belt and what else

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

PSVW
Glow Plug

Timming belt and what else

Post by PSVW »

Inspected timing belt on the new '91 today ..whoa!! gotta change pronto , found local shop that can do it for a fair price (friend of one of the local nationals here)
I will probably help him in his shop this Sat. Need a list of items to change while I have it a part IE: tensioner, water pump are the things I change when I changed my Honda's .
Also want to change coolant any recomendations,, I use precharged scca coolant in my Diesel truck, do not know if these dub motors have issues with cavitation or not thanks in advance for any replies
1991 golf 1.6l GL German Spec
1986 f250 6.9l navstar
Tennessean in Germany
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Special tools?

Cam seal? Crank seal? intermediat shaft seal? Some folks might say only change them if they are leaking. If your changing crank seal then you'll need a new bolt.

New belts?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
PSVW
Glow Plug

Post by PSVW »

Thanks for the heads up , will give it a once over for that .
Any preferred anti freeze/coolant that I need to use?
1991 golf 1.6l GL German Spec
1986 f250 6.9l navstar
Tennessean in Germany
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

You can use the G11 (blue) or G12 (pink). Just be sure to flush out any old coolant.

The G12 is supposed to be "lifetime", but it holds up well up to about 100K.

The G11 is what was supposed to come in your car from the factory, so you may consider that.

Both are available at the dealer.

Speaking of dealers, do you ever go to one? If so, would you be interested in shipping some small items from Germany back to Tennessee????? (Assuming you're still there). I'd pay you for the trouble, cost, and shipping. If you'd be willing, please send me a Private Message.

Good luck

Oh, BTW. I'd strongly recommend the cam seal and intermediate shaft seals (the intermediate has 2 seals). The crank usually is not a problem.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

While the intermediate shaft seal carrier is off,
it's a good time to pull the intermediate shaft out a ways and check the bearings.
If you pull the vacuum pump and support that end
the gear doesn't scrape across the inner bearing.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.