Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : " Books and tools are my weakness". said Quantum-man aka Mark Shepherd Esq.

Books and Tools are hagars strength, . Mark I know what you mean..

You are 9 hours ahead of hagar I start at 04 Am SO ? that is perfect EH ?.

My lathe is an Atlas (US) but the Head-Chuck 3 jaw is English (Burnerd?) very accurate.

Henry Maudslay was a British inventor who invented the first metal lathe in 1797 .

Mark , please explain the terms British English , United Kingdom , British Empire.. I am totally lost . I am 78 and I still dont know., disgusting EH ?.

hagar.
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

CLECOS .... sorry for the misspelling the name ( brain fog set in ) .. no I never made it to the "fly boy" stage, just helped a friend build a "cozy mark IV" ...

I learned of Clecos from my father (a machinist)

They come in handy while shaping sheet metal on cars too.... :)

Seems to be a trait on the board, lots of people getting their hands dirty while dabbling in the black arts :!:

hope everyone makes life "a learning experience" 8)
avocado
Turbo Charger

Post by avocado »

Hagar,

I'm only up to page 33 of your saga, but I wanted to thank you now for both the amazing information and all of your side tangents. You've lived in very interesting times and the stories all help illustrate how you've come to your point of view. It is truly a SAGA, and a brilliant one at that.

I'm still getting my diesel running - pulled it out of an '84 jetta 1.6 TD a few years ago, and only now am getting it installed in my 71 vw camper - but I'm already looking forward to using some of your tips. The engine has 271,000 miles on it, but it was driven by a little old lady who had it serviced pretty regularly. That said, the oil is black and tar, so we'll see what happens after I clean out the injectors, dial in the injection timing, and do the cold-start pull test. She's almost ready for her first drive, so we'll see what happens. Onwards!

Cheers,
Avocado Tom
Currently working on shoehorning a 1.6 TD out of a 1984 Jetta into a 1971 VW Camper (Hardtop)

"Huppity Hup! Rev! Rev! GO GO GO GO!"
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : It is truly a SAGA, and a brilliant one at that. ??????? funny I do not see it like that BUT I am honored , thank you. avocado..

hagar .

PS : SAGA means verbal only (my translation).
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : despite all the information on the Forum . I still see bent valves . If you have a situation as that . Here is some Important advice . Look inside the "CUP" with a say 4 power eyepiece , and check for cracks. They look like spokes in a wheel . . If you see any the cup should be replaced.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : who is hagar ? it is a pen-name . The wife and commander gave me a book "Hagar the Horrible" it is a really good Amerikan cartoon.

Hagars sidekick is stomping the grapes and he said my feet are getting drunk. . Then I found a lot of books about Horrible Hagar. . The diesel hagar is a very different type. Read my lips.

hagar.

PS : my real name is Svend Mogens.. (Norseman).
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by 82vdub »

hagar wrote:my real name is Svend Mogens.. (Norseman).
You look like a hagar, not a Svend 8)
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : 82vdub YES but don't judge a book by its cover EH ? . I am an ugly feeble geezer for sure.. and for the girls in this forum , could hagar fall in love with a Fat ugly woman ? absolutely. I like ALL woman. and go for substance and character .

My loving caregiver Lenora Sattmann has all it takes. I love her. . Want to know about her ? use google.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : (page # 1) "--EH ?. ---and with that 15ppm stuff. ? --we have new
problems. (we may have to use "VITON " seals) "
mar 2006 I posted that. I never found out why "BIO-Disel" made the seals fail.. .That was postulated by BOSCH dealers..

I hereby take back all the bad talk about Bagels Dempster all grain (12 grain?) is delisious. , if dressed proper.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA :if you are a VW newbie ? the lubrication of gearbox will give you problems. VW calls for GL-4 , but here in Kanada that is obsolete and we can only get GL-5 . I used GL-5 from day one ,and have no problems. SO ? don't worry yourself sick..

Look at the date VW specified GL-4 , there was no GL-5 at that time , or that would have been specified. IMHO.. oh and by the way on older trannys 5 speed put in 2 litre by tilting left front up. ..I never fill by removing speedo cable., that is absurd way IMHO.

hagar.

PS : go by olde hagar not the Bentley. EH ? but have FUN doing it.
slowbirds
Cetane Booster

picture of Svend aka hagar

Post by slowbirds »

Last edited by slowbirds on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : You look like a hagar, not a Svend so said 82vdub and I agree . But I don;t like it .

So I aslked slowbirds to post a Svend picture.. My first name is Svend and middle name is Mogens . I do not post my last name for reasons.

By the way slowbirds did a fine job of posting IMHO.

hagar.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Attention all fly boys. Fort Macleod Empress Theatre is having a Aviation Film Festival. Now if I could only find my leather hat and glass goggles.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : surfcam we do have a lot of flyboys in this forum EH ? . IMHO that is good. Take slowbirds for example he made and flew a flying machine and he is an Automobile (gasser) mechanic. ,And a computer wizard.

These days I do most of my flying at the local watering hole (at the diesel guys table) ..

surfcam do me a favour and lokate who sells ARP studs in your end of the country..Let me know by PM please. I got the run-around so far.

$ 200 and I would like a set (no rush) .

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : avocado did wonders for my spirit , SO what can I do for all those newbies out there ? . I do not need the forums any more so should I pass on what I learned ? answer is simple YES..

hagar is mainly a Rabbit DIY type 1977 -- 1984 . Main problems ? TOP--END SO ? ARP studs are a solution. .$ 200 too much ? I say NO.

ARP 204 -- 4706 . when I get the set I just ordered , they will be magnafluxed and inspected in total. If they were not "Baked" they will be . Hydrogen-imbrittlement is the problem. (if they are Cadmium -plated).

A self cleaning Oven works fine. NO do not tell your wife I said so.. Inspection is complicated BUT important (ask Boeing) .I even DE-GAUSS.

Yes I do know that you think FREE fuel , a lot of you.. A good way to recover from being flat broke. (it worked for me) so give it a try..

This is written mainly for NEWBIES. .

hagar.