5 Speed Tranny in my Rabbit leaking suddenly

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tonbra
Glow Plug

5 Speed Tranny in my Rabbit leaking suddenly

Post by tonbra »

I parked my rabbit in the garage and left for a month (I am moving cross country and started my new job before moving). Anyway, came back home this month to get the rabbit ready to ship and noticed a big gear oil-slick from under the car. In a month of not running how did I spring a big leak in my trans? Whats the likely cause/problem?
coke

Post by coke »

Axle flange seals are probably the culprit.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Yuppers.... assuming you can track the fluid back to one or both of em...you'll have to have a look.

Here's a good site on repairing them:

http://www.brokevw.com/020flange.html
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
damac
Diesel Freak

Post by damac »

I just finished up a complete suspension rebuild on my old 85 jetta that had all original parts.

I yanked my axle flanges and had to install a speedi sleeve on each of them due to grooves.

I installed the new seal kits and still am not seeing fluid collecting in those areas like when I got the car.

BUT I noticed that with the car pointing nose down that a puddle showed up with the car sitting overnight :(

Mine is collecting where the tranny meets that flange on the engine side. So now I have to assume the seal between those pieces is breeched and that some internal seal is leaking :(

I can't say that the clutch is slipping but I assume the tranny has never been apart and it has original seals and something inside is either showing itself when angled and/or the seals have lost their life.

I am mad at myself now because I didn't even look into it before tear down, just assumed it was the flanges.

Unless I overfilled mine somehow after draining 2 batches of oil, I think I am going to have to yank my darn tranny out :(
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Yeah, any time I pull a tranny I do both flange seals, the input shaft seal, the pushrod bushing and seal, and the throwout bearing.

Cheap and easy to do... when the tranny's on the ground at least. Some folks say "if it ain't broke don't fix it"... but I don't have that kind of luck. :wink:
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
coke

Post by coke »

I did the same on the 91 Gas job. We had to literally beat the flanges out of the transmission with a huge block of wood and a huge hammer. They were STUCK. Never in my life have I seen flanges stuck like they were.