Leaky windshield remedy

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Leaky windshield remedy

Post by coke »

So I didn't get the chance to have my windshield replace since some other more serious mechanical problems arose. My father picked up a tube of Napa / Martin Senior Paints #4203 Butyl Windshield Sealant.

We poked the end of the rube under the rubber gasket and went completely around it, and poked it into the thin rubber/metal strip that was pulled away from the windshield and packed it in there too.

My concern is it remains partially flexible, doesn't really harden at all, and that it won't seal the leaks. Anyone used it in this manner to seal the windshield before?

Only other thing I could do at this point if its still leaking is to try and get my hands on some universal gasket and cover the entire job and seal it down. Trying to avoid that as it will complicate the removal process for the glass technician in February when I have a new one put in.

Thoughts, opinion, suggestions?
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

I used some butyl rubber on my 4x4 windshield:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... index.html

Has held up for about 6 years so far.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
coke

Post by coke »

Cool. Some of the butyl sealant doesn't have the luxury of being under any weather proofing due to the design of the seal itself. Hopefully, it will hold up and keep the leaks at bay until February.
bottleworks
Cetane Booster

Post by bottleworks »

I used some locktite brand clear adhesive/sealant just like you did. It stopped the leak from the front. I need to do the same in the back glass.
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup
and an Additional 1981 VW Rabbit Pickup
"You may have to 'metaphorically' make a deal with the 'devil.' And by 'devil,' I mean Robot Devil. And by 'metaphorically,' I mean 'get your coat.'"
coke

Post by coke »

Yeah. The butyl stuff stays semi flexible so I was worried it wouldn't do the trick. I hope I got enough of it to keep the rain out of my fuse box. Then, I can just get a new windshield which comes with a new metal sealing gasket on the outside so I'll be all set.
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

lowly silicone will also seal most windshields ... clear works well.

the proper stuff also glues the windshield firmly in place during accidents.
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

joat wrote:lowly silicone will also seal most windshields ... clear works well.

silicone as they told me is acid by time so metal(paint) to rubber isn`t good,but windshield to rubber with
silicone is OK.
I`ll improve my English
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

silicone has vinegar in it (acetic acid) ... very mild, once it evaporates or washes away with water you're good ....

vinegar isn't strong enough to eat paint, so its rubber to silicone to paint....
the only one you should avoid is the silver one ( paint won't stick to it ).

BTW ... just put a piece of plastic over the fuse box ( umbrella ) to keep the water out of it if you are worried.
wmasscaddy
Cetane Booster

Post by wmasscaddy »

I used 1" blue masking tape. Worked great, didn't look TOO bad. Got windshield replaced after six weeks, but when I took the tape off it was still in good shape.
82 pickup 1.6 n/a
350,000 + miles lost to broken odo
11mm block, 12mm head
Michael
Cetane Booster

My experience with window sealing - short but successful.

Post by Michael »

Hi Coke. From what you mentioned, I'd say you did what you could. Only thing is to fill it so well/completely that the stuff gets into all the empty spaces , displacing whatever water there may also be in those little hidden spaces, so that it seals that mysterious outside leak.
That butyl also comes in calking tube form (probably the least expensive form) which allows you to inject it with sufficient pressure and mass as to displace the water and fill all the spaces.
Never mind that it doesn't harden; if this is a problem, then you can smear some silicone grease on it so that it doesn't beschmutz your clothes.
Good Luck!
Michael, Seattle
coke

Post by coke »

Well it rained tonight, and I have a lot less leakage than before (haven't driven it yet though). Looks like a small amount pooled on the inside d/s corner at the bottom. So I'll go over it again and see if theres any gaps and fill them in best I can.

I used the caulking gun form, and was pretty sure I got all the spots but apparently not. It doesn't matter as long as I don't get the waterfall I was getting before. Caused some nasty holes in my floorboards, along with the salted roads we have in Maine.

Just gotta get by till February and I'm set.