Small cracks in head - serious or still good?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

DieselAlltheWay
Cetane Booster

Post by DieselAlltheWay »

Funny you should mention. A friend saw a tester at Princess and we rushed there 2 days later. Guess what: someone had snubbed the last one. And they were on sale for I think $80. Definitely want to test the engine in the parts 94 Golf TD now sitting in my yard, waiting for a transplant to the Cabrio. Any chance you live near me?

As for the injectors I had them tested by a professional shop and watched as they were tested. The comment I got: they were so good they looked new. And yes, testing the injectors is a very wise investment. My total cost: $25 and this included properly reinstalling them with the right torque, new heat shields and all.
Paying homage to 2011, the year of the Rabbit:
1983 Turbo Diesel "Beige" - lived a short life, your parts will live on.
1984 Turbo Diesel with 1.9 TD and bastardized to perfection
1990 Cabrio - still a MK1
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Maybe that was me that bought it. :P I think your right on the price. Half there stuff is surplus so just don't know what your going to get there.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

When I wanted a diesel compression tester, I watched flee-bay for a good deal. I got a snap on set that was listed for sale for a Mercedes diesel (the old style has the same injectors as VW) and picked it up for like $45. I wasn't in a rush for it, so I had the time to keep an eye out for a decent priced unit.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
DieselAlltheWay
Cetane Booster

surfcam wrote:Maybe that was me that bought it. :P .
Well that does it. You owe me big for taking it away (from the south location?). This means coming over with the prized tool and enjoying a cold beer.
ibizz
Cetane Booster

Post by ibizz »

that cracks in head are very comun in 1.6 and 1.9
its becouse overheating.

i see manny people use heads with that cracks , litle ones , with no problems
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Cracked Head.

Post by hagar »

DieselAlltheWay :
Are the 1984 Turbo Rabbits rare ? YES so hang on to it. . It is a collector item as far as I am concerned. .

Make sure the sign on the back is not destroyed..

Now for the "Cracks" ? very bad..

hagar.

PS : getting a new Head is no problem.
DieselAlltheWay
Cetane Booster

Re: Small cracks in head - serious or still good?

Here's a sad update on that.
The head, as it turned out, was absolutely beautiful and those cracks, as pointed out, are common and a non issue. However that was short lived - and it had nothing to do with the cracks.
The engine is toast. After all this effort and money and headache, the 1.9 TD from a 93 donor is now junk due to a faulty $20 part. We missed that, possibly due to inexperience. So I'm going to mention this here in hopes others may be aware of this silly little part that can ruin your engine if left unchecked.

To recap, we put in a 1.9 TD from a donor 93 Golf. The head gasket was bad and it seemed, the head too. So we found a beautiful head (as seen in previous page) from a donor car and it run beautifully for a month. The issue: these 1.9 have a small gear thing that get worn and will make adjusting the timing tough. Not sure what the name is but it's a small sprocket that sits in the engine. It was a bit worn and thus made timing hard to get an accurate reading on. My friend that was doing the timing should have picked up this, that something was amiss. But due to his inexperience, he just left the timing at the best possible position he thought was right. Well, the car begun to lose power very quickly. Till it wouldn't run anymore. Would start very roughly and only run for a few seconds.

Car is still parked out back waiting for the new engine to go in it, a 1.9 from another donor Golf (94 this time). And yes, this time around we're adding the sprocket thing that I still have and ensure that all parts are proper and nothing is worn.

Hope that no one here gets caught in a similar situation, if working with a 1.9. Not sure if that lovely head is trash by now but I'm not going to take any chances. At least I know that the head from this donor engine is good as I drove the Golf for a while and it was fine, with a good gasket, engine compression and all.

Thank you all here for the help. I still hope to have this Rabbit running someday soon.
DieselAlltheWay
Cetane Booster

Re: Cracked Head.

hagar wrote:DieselAlltheWay :
Are the 1984 Turbo Rabbits rare ? YES so hang on to it. . It is a collector item as far as I am concerned.
Yes, rare indeed. Even though I have basterdized the car a great deal, including the addition of a 1.9 TD.
I may need to steal the downpipe from it to use on my other (just acquired) 83 TD (yes, I have two now!)
U wouldn't happen to have this downpipe elbow would you? If so, how much?
Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

Post by Homer T. Coyote »

I have my 1.6 TD apart and also have cracks in the head and prechambers. One crack in the head looks like a piece of paper might slide in. Is that too much? My neighbor is a welder and can weld up the cracks. Any issues w/ welding these heads? Also anyone know where to get new prechambers.
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers
Homer T. Coyote
Cetane Booster

Post by Homer T. Coyote »

Reading a little further i got the answers to my questions about the cracks and welding. You guys should start a forum or something:) However i still need a source for the prechambers.
85 Jetta 1.6 TD
(2) 81 Caddy gassers
coke

Post by coke »

Check with Jack on this site. I'm not 100% certain he has prechambers, but I'm pretty sure he can get them, as he rebuilds the 1.6 motors, heads, blocks, etc.