Getting ready to go check out an 81 rabbit, need some input.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

speedntriple
Cetane Booster

Post by speedntriple »

bscutt wrote:yeah missed that part. Still unless it ate a valve it may still be a good deal. probably jumped timing by a tooth if it doesn't clank when you crank it over. even if it did I have a friend in the Shenandoah valley with a few diesel Rabbits sitting around, at least one with a 1.5 that ran well when I sold it to him. Mice probably ate up the interior but I'll bet the engine is good and he might be talked out of that whole car for a few hundred bucks.
10-4 I'm going to look at it this weekend, weather permitting... thanks!
81 dasher diesel wagon, rusty...
99 dodge 2500 ctd 24v, 125hp injectors, 60/60/9 turbo, 4" straight pipe, Edge drag comp, South Bend ceramic clutch, 2" level, ATS Arc Flow intake, AFE air filter, Air Dog 150 lift pump, 18" Rock Stars with Nitto Terra Grapplers, PSC Race Power Steering Pump, Egt, boost, fuel gauges, Ranch Hand front, rear and step bumpers, endless pit....
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Inspecting a Rabbit Diesel.

Post by hagar »

speedntriple : Listen to the talk about $5 a gallon for gasoline EH ? a Rabbit diesel becomes a good buy for $600 If all the parts are there and not all rusted out. ,so ? look at the underside..

. If it is your first ? get a guy from the forum to go with you.. It would have to be really bad before hagar would pass it up. , read my lips.

hagar.
speedntriple
Cetane Booster

Re: Inspecting a Rabbit Diesel.

Post by speedntriple »

hagar wrote:speedntriple : Listen to the talk about $5 a gallon for gasoline EH ? a Rabbit diesel becomes a good buy for $600 If all the parts are there and not all rusted out. ,so ? look at the underside..

. If it is your first ? get a guy from the forum to go with you.. It would have to be really bad before hagar would pass it up. , read my lips.

hagar.
Thanks hagar, I appreciate the input.. From the pictures they sent it doesn't look too bad, the driver side rear quarter looks to have been repaired, looks like some leaks around the engine or pump, not sure about the copper and brass fittings either.... I've had a lot of old trucks so I'm pretty good at spotting rust. The dasher in my signature is a donor... its rotten but I've got $30 invested in the whole thing... I've got a buddy who is part of the local VW club here, I may get him to ride with me. Here are a few pics of it...

99 dodge 2500 ctd 24v, 125hp injectors, 60/60/9 turbo, 4" straight pipe, Edge drag comp, South Bend ceramic clutch, 2" level, ATS Arc Flow intake, AFE air filter, Air Dog 150 lift pump, 18" Rock Stars with Nitto Terra Grapplers, PSC Race Power Steering Pump, Egt, boost, fuel gauges, Ranch Hand front, rear and step bumpers, endless pit....
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Short answer - If the underside is as clean as the outside - BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it's not, strongly consider buying it!

long answer - the car is not a GTI, it looks to be factory diesel to me. The wheels are GTI and the grill may be badged as GTI, but I believe it's factory diesel. Shock tower (only see one) looks good.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
speedntriple
Cetane Booster

Post by speedntriple »

82vdub wrote:Short answer - If the underside is as clean as the outside - BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it's not, strongly consider buying it!

long answer - the car is not a GTI, it looks to be factory diesel to me. The wheels are GTI and the grill may be badged as GTI, but I believe it's factory diesel. Shock tower (only see one) looks good.

I believe you're right... It looks like the dash is the diesel gauge too... does anything look odd under the hood? I appreciate the input.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I didn't see anything odd under the hood, except the copper, but that's probably very minor. I also noted that the glow plug fuse appears to be screwed to the firewall, probably another indicator that it's a factory diesel. Most doing a conversion may skip this task, or attach it somehow else. Also, it has the diesel fuel filter bracket on the shock tower. If you do buy the car, first thing to do is to change the fuel filter, even if it's brand new. Second thing is to check how old the timing belt is. It should be new with the new HG, but you never know.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
speedntriple
Cetane Booster

Post by speedntriple »

82vdub wrote:I didn't see anything odd under the hood, except the copper, but that's probably very minor. I also noted that the glow plug fuse appears to be screwed to the firewall, probably another indicator that it's a factory diesel. Most doing a conversion may skip this task, or attach it somehow else. Also, it has the diesel fuel filter bracket on the shock tower. If you do buy the car, first thing to do is to change the fuel filter, even if it's brand new. Second thing is to check how old the timing belt is. It should be new with the new HG, but you never know.
Awesome. Thank you sir.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Looks like a winner to me too. even if you have to put in a used engine, the body and interior look pretty good for $500. chances are you can fix it.. Or tow it up to northern VA and we can make it go!
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Buy it .

Post by hagar »

speedntriple : you wanted input EH ? well after seeing pictures. I say use your Dodge put the Rabbit on a trailer and hustle home , before I get it.

Was it mine it would be a $1000 Rabbit. . Perfect fixer upper

hagar.. .
speedntriple
Cetane Booster

Post by speedntriple »

Thats the plan! Trailer is hooked up to the Dodge. Depending on weather, I'll head that way on Sunday. I'll keep you posted as to what I find. Thanks again fellas! :D
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

I have to say, I simply love that interior. On my Quantum's, I've only had blacks, one blue, and one yucky brown. That setup is nicer than my 'reserved' GTD...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Very few people take floor pan pics,
from under the car.
... and that's probably the most important place to look.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
speedntriple
Cetane Booster

Post by speedntriple »

Thats one of the first places, along with the uni-body frame I'll look for the crusty rust.
Caerbannog
Diesel Freak

Post by Caerbannog »

speedntriple wrote:

I believe you're right... It looks like the dash is the diesel gauge too... does anything look odd under the hood? I appreciate the input.
I was going to say the two lines, one on each side of the heater valve, looked odd, but I saw the add-on gauges in the previous photo for oil pressure and water temperature, so that explains that.

It does look like there's a breather hose at a "T" between the valve cover and the intake manifold that is capped. I don't have a "T" on my '82 NA, so I don't know where that's supposed to go.

What does the copper plumbing above the vacuum pump connect to?

Edit: I figured it out. That's just a homemade adapter for the water temperature gauge!
Last edited by Caerbannog on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'82 1.6 NA Rabbit
'80 1.5 NA Rabbit parts car
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

The glow plug fuse looks corroded BAD... I'd almost bet money it's causing lack of power to the glowplugs.

If that's the case, it could be as simple as that to fix the starting issues.
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta