charging system issue

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

matt1234
Glow Plug

charging system issue

Post by matt1234 »

1985 n/a no a/c 1.6 engine. so the alternator was putting out 11.9 votlts with the car running. so i pulled the voltage regulator out and sure enough the brushes were worn down to nothing. so i got a new bosch one and put it in and the car still puts out 11.9 volts. thats weird. another thing is not the big 3 wire connector but there is a green single wire that goes into the alternator that is broken. i touched it to the metal tab and nothing changed. i think that wire is for the light on the dash. any way i think i need a new alternator. any advice? thanks guys!!
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Re: charging system issue

Post by Vincent Waldon »

matt1234 wrote:1985 n/a no a/c 1.6 engine. so the alternator was putting out 11.9 votlts with the car running. so i pulled the voltage regulator out and sure enough the brushes were worn down to nothing. so i got a new bosch one and put it in and the car still puts out 11.9 volts. thats weird. another thing is not the big 3 wire connector but there is a green single wire that goes into the alternator that is broken. i touched it to the metal tab and nothing changed. i think that wire is for the light on the dash. any way i think i need a new alternator. any advice? thanks guys!!
The dash light must be working or the alternator will not charge properly.

Does your "BAT" light come on when you turn the key to "on" ?
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
matt1234
Glow Plug

Post by matt1234 »

the light goes on when i turn the key to 'on" and it stays pon for one minute when i drive then it goes out everytime. i was wondering what that black fuse looking thing on the alternator that is held in by a flathead screw was cause i heard a pop niose like a blown fuse noise when i unplugged the connector and i dont know if this has asnythig to do with it.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

What's the voltage when not running?

Since this has the plug with the 3 wires,
the extra wire plugs into the "W" terminal.
It helps determine RPM so the dynamic oil pressure circuit knows when it's over 2000 RPM so it can check the oil pressure at the switch on the filter.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

matt1234 wrote:the light goes on when i turn the key to 'on" and it stays pon for one minute when i drive then it goes out everytime. i was wondering what that black fuse looking thing on the alternator that is held in by a flathead screw was cause i heard a pop niose like a blown fuse noise when i unplugged the connector and i dont know if this has asnythig to do with it.
Radio interference supressor/capacitor :?: ...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

A "pop" sound could also be a blown diode. (Magic-smoke sometimes cheers when it is set free.)
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
matt1234
Glow Plug

Post by matt1234 »

so that black sqaure thing the size of a piece of gum coant blow cause i dont know if that could possibly be the cause of this.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The little black box has an internal capacitor as part of the noise suppression circuity, so normal for you to see a tiny spark as it is being connected or disconnected.

If it works or if it is blown makes no different to alternator operation... you'd just notice more alternator whine on your radio.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

i would also change the regulator in addition to the brushes before tossing the alternator for a new one. the regulator is fairly inexpensive and does fail. the new one will likely be Chinese but seems to work fine.

since there are so many combinations of pulley length and shaft length, getting a new one is sometimes a spin of the Big Wheel. you might want to consider just having the existing one rebuilt locally because it WILL fit!

i go thru brushes fairly fast on my car as i have a heavy electrical draw with the veg oil heating equipment. usually evidences itself as the charge light coming on at low RPM, flickering, or intermittent charging over a period of about 100 miles before the final "no charge" condition.

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

remove regulator, look inside alt for a finger of metal that contacts the back of the regulator ... clean this well ( pencil eraser and sand paper ) till its shiny. then re install the regulator.

attach a wire to the alt case and then to the engine ( make a good ground ) then start the car and rev it a bit... get under the hood and jumper the Bat+ on the alt with the blue wire on the alt and rev the engine a bit.... then take a Voltage reading

should be around 13.5 or better .. if not, the new reg is probably bad.
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist