1.9na swap in a vanagon

Moderator: Fatmobile

moby
Cetane Booster

1.9na swap in a vanagon

Post by moby »

Hello, everybody.
My 82 diesel vanagon's 1.6Na engine has given up the ghost. I might be the only one, but I don't mind driving this vehicle slowly . I know people are swapping in AAZ's and TDI's but I would rather keep it as simple as possible. I was thinking on a 1.9NA engine code 1Y. They've got a few more hp,65 I believe, and are known as being pretty much bulletproof, plus it's pretty much a bolt in. I've been looking around ,mostly on the internet, for a good low mileage or rebuilt one but haven't had much success. Was this engine offered in the States? I know Europe and Canada has loads of them. Let me know what you think of this swap and if you have any leads on engines. Thanks a lot, Paolo.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: 1.9na swap in a vanagon

Post by Fatmobile »

This is a vanagon topic so I moved it there.
It doesn't move as fast so the topic will stay at the top longer.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

That's what i've been running in mine for the last 2 1/2 years. I strongly suggest a couple of things. Read and learn on how to get the most performance out of your injection pump. There is lots of info here and on http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/. Source out the original 1Y intake manifold or get a higher flowing one than the 1.6 intake/ air filter. Next thing is to get an exhaust manifold from a 1.8 gas Jetta or Audi 80 with dual outlets. Then get the exhaust built up with at least 2 inch [2 1/2 is even better] pipes. These engines can flow a lot more air than a 1.6 and with the proper air flow and fueling, you will more power and torque than a 1.6 turbo, and more reliable. Oh and get the crank nose issue fixed before installing it into the van.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
moby
Cetane Booster

Post by moby »

Thank you caveman for your response. Reliability, simplicity, and a bit more power is what I'm looking for. Sounds like the 1.9na with manifolds as you suggest and a good pump is the way to go. Now where do I find a good used engine? Seems like Canada has more around then the States. What vehicles did these come in? I've got a brother up in Ottawa, maybe I'll pay him a visit and pick up an engine while I'm at it. Let me know if you've got any good leads. Thanks again, Paolo
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

ideally you may want to source out a VW industrial engine with code ADG . That model has piston oilers and the uprated TDI crank pulley. Less chance of any problems that plague the 1.9 .
Otherwise find an AAZ which were on 93-97 Golf and Jetta diesels, and strip the turbo off. I had to get my intake from Poland, but they exist all over Europe. You can try on http://www.club80-90.co.uk/index.html. It is a Transporter site from the UK
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
moby
Cetane Booster

Post by moby »

Thanks for all the good advice. I've talked to a few junk yards up in Canada, some aaz's with lots of miles, some missing the turbo, no one's willing or able to do a compression test. Seems like playing Russian rullette! Someone out there has got to have a nice healthy engine for me, right. Compression up around 400, i'm thinking. Thanks, Paolo
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Well, therein lies the problem. There's such a great demand for them here in the US, that people can get $800+ for one in the blink of an eye (how do you think I got mine all the way down here in TN :wink: ). I was lucky that I knew the guy selling it, and he let me start it up on a stand with a bell-housing, starter, diesel fuel and a battery. It fired up and ran great. I wish I had a chance to do a compression test, but I didn't want to sour the deal.

But that's not common. So, you'll have to take your chances. The lower the price, the less the risk (or, more room for a rebuild). There's a guy in Maine who seems to get them from time to time. He's on the GTD Diesel forum. His user name is "ilikevwdiesel". He's got fair prices, and seems honest about what he sells. He may not do a compression test on all of them, but he will say if he thinks the compression is low. I think that he, like most people, get the motors after they've been removed. So, doing a compression test on a yanked motor is a bit of a pain (hook up trans, starter, battery, fuel, etc). I don't mind doing it, since I have a MK1 bell-housing cut from a trans. It's lightweight and easy to use.

The flip side of the coin is, in Canada, they're relatively plentiful. So, people can't be bothered to do those kinds of tests to make sure whatever they're selling is good. Most j-yards warranty a motor to run. Beyond that, they most they'll offer is a refund credit to be applied for another motor, and they don't cover labor/shipping costs (I used to work at one of those types of yards).

So, find a reliable source, or go up to Canada yourself. I've been there in the Summer: it's quite beautiful!
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think TD Quantum pretty much nailed it. I just though I would add that Ontario and Quebec are in the rust belt so their should be more 1.9's available when the body falls off the engine sooner in those woods. I've been offer some 1.9's three or four time in the vehicle but I'm just too far down the 1.6TD path to change. With 3 1.6TD's, two heads with turbo's, turbo pumps, etc. I will keep an eye open and post it if I come across one. The best time to go fishing for one is in the fall after the first cold snap.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/