Oli coolers?

Moderator: Fatmobile

Crankin
Glow Plug

Oli coolers?

Post by Crankin »

hello.. There is oil in my coolant. Are oil coolers prone to leak oil into the coolant? Has "new" head gasket...PO...& 3500 miles with no overheat.

Crankin
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Re: Oli coolers?

Post by Fatmobile »

Yes, they have been known to leak oil into the coolant.
I have had a bad head gasket do the same.

Not sure why a fresh headgasket would do that.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Crankin
Glow Plug

Post by Crankin »

Thanks Fatmobile,

I advised them...My daughter and her husband...to bypass the coolant side of the cooler and see what happens.

Thanks again
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

For your enjoyment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv8qZJSBC1w I had the same problem and came up with this solution for testing. I capped one end and added regulated air pressure to the other and the video shows the results. For flushing the system, flush as much as you can with water and a hose. Then add one bottle of "Shout" stain remover. Bleed the system and drive it to operating temperature with the shout in the mix. Then drain and flush. On mine I disconnected the long lines to the front at the engine and connected the hose to one side and ran it until the water ran clear out the return pipe. I then removed the thermostat and flushed the engine with a hose through the coolant fitting on the head. I then removed the heater hoses from the engine and flushed with water from the hose. It is a mess, but will clean up. I took the time to upgrade to a larger cooler that came on the PD TDI engines. Regards.