My A/C alternator tensioner solution

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

tylernt
Turbo Charger

My A/C alternator tensioner solution

Post by tylernt »

Not long ago I purchased a mini-lathe so I could do a little of my own machine work. The lathe indeed came in handy for my Jetta, letting me make a 2" blockoff plate for my BOV delete and a spacer for my custom alternator arm.

Now, I find the stock Mk2 diesel upper rad hose an abomination, so I'm rotating my alternator up as far as it goes so a custom rad hose can go in front of the alternator. As a result, the stock tensioner won't work but that's fine, I don't like the stock tensioner anyway: it adds to belt wear and reduces wrap on the alternator pulley, which then slips and squeals. No, I wanted to delete it and push on the backside of the belt instead. There's already a thread here on how to do that, so I followed suit with my own flavor. I decided to make the pulley as large as possible to make a gentle bend (and also to slow down the RPM of the pulley, to make the bearing last longer).

The bearing is from a local bearing supply place, 3/8" ID and cost about $5.

I used a 2" long 3/8" carriage bolt, which is the perfect size for the stock Mk2 A/C bracket slot. I like carriage bolts because you only need one tool to tighten/loosen them instead of two. :) As you can see though, with the stock belt I am already almost out of adjustment range. This will work for now but I think I'll end up with a shorter belt in the near future.

I think it looks purty. :oops: Also, I made marks and my tensioner pulley turns about 3/4 of a turn for every turn of the alternator, so that should help longevity. Now just hope it works! I still have a lot of work left to do before the car runs (both engine bay wiring harnesses are completely out of the car, plus I have coolant and fuel hoses and a turbo drain to deal with), so sorry it will be a while before I have an update.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Re: My A/C alternator tensioner solution

Post by the vegenator »

Looks like you truly took matters into your own hands! That's quite a unique approach to our wretched alternator belt problems, and I'm eager to read updates on how well it works for you.

Just as a curiosity, where did you acquire your lathe from? I've been looking at Harbor Freight models, but never can tell if those are worth the moneys.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

the vegenator wrote:Just as a curiosity, where did you acquire your lathe from? I've been looking at Harbor Freight models, but never can tell if those are worth the moneys.
Yup it's from Harbor Freight. They only stock the 7x10 model in-store, so that's what I got. There is also a 7x12 available on their website which is actually more than 4" longer (the way they rate the size is weird) and is probably a better deal thanks to the extra bed length. HF also sells an 8x lathe but it is a totally different beast and lacks many of the niceties of the 7x model such as a variable speed motor, so I decided it wasn't for me.

Ultimately, I think the HF 7x lathe is a worthwhile tool, but not out of the box. Basically what you're getting is a DIY lathe kit that comes pre-assembled -- you need to take it all apart to address the minor flaws and upgrade things here and there. With a little work it's an inexpensive and fairly accurate machine. More details on http://www.mini-lathe.com.
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

That could be a bit of torsion on the bearing. Keep your eyes and ears on it.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

the new tensioner should be on the other side of the belt ( towards the firewall possibly the same alternator mounting bolt) . right now it sees the "full load" on the alternator. On the other side it would only take up slack in the belt and see very little strain on the bearing. :wink:
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

On the other side it would only take up slack in the belt and see very little strain on the bearing.
I agree, but due to the alternator belt overlapping the timing belt,

putting it on the other side means the pulley diameter must be smaller which puts a sharper bend on the belt, and causes the bearing to spin a lot faster.
TylerDurden wrote:That could be a bit of torsion on the bearing. Keep your eyes and ears on it.
Yeah... 20/20 hindsight, the bearing does deflect at a slight angle when the belt is tensioned. I might have to make another pulley that puts the middle of the belt in line with the middle of the bearing. I didn't think of that, of course, until I had 20 hours into the pulley and bolted it onto the car... but at least I learned some things making the first pulley so the next one should go a lot faster.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I wouldn't make a V-belt pulley out of aluminum. It will wear out too quickly. The straight cut pulley will wear but shouldn't be a problem. It looks like just maybe you have solve the problem of cat's squealing under your hood.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/