Tips for pulling and installing a windshield

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Tips for pulling and installing a windshield

Post by the vegenator »

I'm heading to the junk yard on Sunday to grab a good windshield I noticed the other week.

The 'pro' at the auto glass shop said replacing a windshield isn't a DIY job, and that if I tried to get a windshield off a parts car that I would likely break it. This, of course, sounded like less of a deterrent and more of a CHALLENGE.

So, for those of you that have had experience doing their own windshields: What tools should I either make, buy, or grab from my tool box? I've heard of using bass or piano strings, but also have seen an angled knife tool that breaks the seal under the glass.

Any tips for removing the windshield, and eventually installing it on my car would be appreciated!
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
mtran
Diesel Freak

Re: Tips for pulling and installing a windshield

Post by mtran »

Lot of 10x50 mm ~1,5 mm plastic strips inside car on all windshield rubber and metal.Bady outside to hold just for case.
I`ll improve my English
zman
Turbo Charger

Post by zman »

I fancy myself as a sharp minded mechanic with the midas touch but even as carefull as I could be my windshield snapped while removing it, I cut the old seal off with a razor blade before trying to separate it from the body, all it took was a slight nudge and snap.
Luckily It was a pitted old one so I just cleaned up the mess and had a mobile installer come over. I think labor was only 60 bucks, 125 for the new glass ..well worth it.
He is right about it being really tough, you should have no glass still stuck to the seal before you try to remove it from the car, Maybe someone on the inside and you on the outside and feed a thin metal guitar string through the seal and carefully pull it around till it is separated.
There is also something called a wire saw thats like a guitar string with handles, It is used for cutting copper and PVC pipe. You can find it at harbor freight tool,lowes ect.
Good luck.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Have you investigated the cost of a new windshield? A professional installer can remove and reinstall without breaking the glass, but most people can't.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

The professionals use one of two tools to get them out: A long-handled sheetrock knife, or piano wire with 2 people working it back and forth from the inside and outside.

I usually see option one for lone-driver/installers.

It's not too hard to get the glass out. I've done it dozens of times. It's a lot easier on a warm day. I get away with using a simple sheet-rock knife, but you'll only be able to do that trick if you pull the dash from whatever you're pulling it from (unless you have a Rabbit with rubber-seal. Then, just cut the seal from the outside). Anyways, I cut down and perpendicular around the outside of the glass. On the inside, I try to cut parallel, or slightly upwards through the glue. You'll have to go over it MANY times to make sure it's free. Just press lightly from the inside to find where it's binding.

I'd have at least 10 new blades on hand for the process. I usually go through about 4-7. Don't worry about the tips, it's the cutting edge you need to worry about.

If it's at a yard, practice on some turd windshield you don't care about to get a feel for the adhesive.

One final note. If you're planning on installing it yourself (and I don't recommend it), be sure to prime the crap out of the windshield frame with some SIKA primer. It's designed for just this purpose. That way, your windshield frame won't rust out. If an installer comes to pull the glass, have them do the same.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

One thing I should note: that angled-cutter that slips under the glass is a piece of shit. My dad had one, and I broke at least 2 good, used windshields trying to use that thing. Stick to a sheetrock knife.

You can try the piano wire, but you'll need an assistant.
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

Done a lot of Bug windshields and they are similar. Always used a box knife to cut the old rubber but being very careful and taking my time.

To re-install, super clean the glass, it will never be easier. Install the rubber onto the glass and set it in the sun or somewhere warm for about an hour to make the rubber more pliable.
Mix a tablespoon of dish soap in a cup of warm water.
get a length of 12 gauge insulated wire and insert it into the rubber groove where it holds the pinch weld on the windshield frame. Make sure the wire is extra long and that the overlap of the ends is at the top/center of the glass.
Brush some of the soapy water onto the rubber over the wire.
Insert the glass/rubber into the frame area of the car body.

(At this point it helps to have a helper who can follow your lead but with practice and on a small vehicle you can do this alone)

SLOWLY pull the wire ends so the rubber lip lifts and catches the car body pinch weld. Wrapping the wire around some dowels for handles makes this easier on the hands. As you get to the corners you (or your helper) will need to apply GENTLE pressure to the outside of the glass so the rubber lip does not slip to the outside of the pinch weld flange. Do a little on one side and a little on the other so each side advances evenly.
The trickiest part is the last bit at the center/ bottom as the wire wants to pop out without lifting the rubber over the pinch weld. It this happens, carefully push the glass out and start over. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT PRYING THE RUBBER INTO PLACE!!!
After you do this once you will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Diesel Newbedo
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

The shop quoted me $500 or so for new glass, new seal, and labor. The new seal seemed to be an issue - they had a hard time sourcing the right parts, but when they found it, the price was nearly $100. And I never understood what seal they were referring to. I'm considering pulling the windshield and having the shop install it.

In terms of the long-handled sheet rock knife, I'm not exactly sure what that is. I have normal utility knives and drywall saws, but not what you're referring to. Besides, I don't understand exactly how the blade can cut the seal underneath the windshield if the blade isn't angled.

I'll have a helper on hand. So a guitar string with dowel handles will likely be the way I go. Without actually having done it before, it's hard to imagine how I'll snake the string between the windshield and frame. I suppose it takes some force, or just finessing?
- Mike Harpring

coke

Post by coke »

Ouch. I got quoted 180 for a new windshield for my 91, installed.

I do know that the mexican built and german built jettas seem to use a different windshield, though. Mine doesn't use a seal, it comes with a gasket on the windshield and its glued into place.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I had two installed on Rabbits with new seals here in the DC area for about $250 each and they came on site and did it. I shopped around using the on line advertisers and then got them to drop the price on the phone since I was having two done together. I have only changed out one windshield in my lifetime, on a 74 Firebird, and at this point I would just pay to have it done and make it a shop's liability, not mine.

I suggest just shopping around and having someone do it since the odds of breaking one while removing it sound pretty high. It's a pretty important item on the car, not only for visibility and lack of leaks, but from a safety standpoint too.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

Makes sense. There is an awful lot of guess work and a learning curve on my end when it comes to attempting something I've never done before.

I'll probably end up going down to Louisville, since more competition means better prices. And if I switch to a full coverage policy then the Insurance company has to pay, under Indiana law. A slightly higher premium would be offset by the cost of the windshield.
- Mike Harpring

surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I'm only batting 500 on my two windows. The pro's have an advantage using two suction cups on the windshield. They run a continuous round bead all the way around and never work it down with their fingers. Then they put the windshield in totally straight using the suction cups. If one side go in before the other. It will flatten the bead down and cause a leak.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

With the sheetrock knife, you cut from the inside AND the outside. Most of the cutting will be from the inside, hence the reason to remove the dash.

Here's what the long sheetrock knife looks like. It's designed to get leverage and length to cut along the bottom of the windshield from inside the cab.

If you've never done the piano wire, DEFINITELY practice on a turd car in the yard.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yep, that's the tool.

I wrap duct tape near the sharp end,
because I have scratched the glass with it.
I bought mine from the auto glass store.

They also sold me a heavy duty "caulking gun",
meant for squirting the windshield adhesive, which is thicker than silicone, even when set on the defroster.
It should be warmed-up.

Bead is more of a cone shape, a ridgeline,
than round, and stacked pretty high.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
mtran
Diesel Freak

Post by mtran »

If NOT glued in Europe we do like this.
Start from top middle than zig zag,than top one left one right and go down.That is just for DIY,if you had chance to look ones,next you can do.
I`ll improve my English