91 jetta glow plug timer

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

91mk2
Cetane Booster

91 jetta glow plug timer

Post by 91mk2 »

my timer relay isn't working. light stays on. i had to crank the car forever to get it started. there's this junction block on the cowl i disconnect the wire there and put it straight to the battery for a few seconds and car starts right up. i asked someone before where the relay is and they told me under the hood but i don't see it. looks like the wire runs back inside the car.

Anyone know where this relay is?? and i was thinking about just rigging it with a push button, anything wrong with doing this?
1991 1.6 jetta
Wheeling WV area
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Re: 91 jetta glow plug timer

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Pictures of the stock locations for the various parts here:

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=28
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
DanHoug
Turbo Charger

Post by DanHoug »

a push button is fine.... you'll soon develop a keen sense of how much glow to apply. in addition, you can crank early and keep the glow on until it fires up, then keep some glow on to smooth it out.

i've got a both... the stock fast relay with a manual over-ride button (illuminated, snap action sweetie).

-dan
'91 Jetta NA on WVO for 120k miles
'91 Jetta ECO
91mk2
Cetane Booster

Post by 91mk2 »

damn thing won't start when it's freezing. i was jumping the glow plug wire and somehow the wire fell on to the battery and must have been there for 5 minutes. wire was hot but didn't melt. hope i didn't melt the glow plug tip in the cylinder.

on another note a compression check must not be done thru the gp on this because there's no room. So i guess injectors have to be pulled??
1991 1.6 jetta
Wheeling WV area