1.9 tdi mounted upright in vanagon

Moderator: Fatmobile

detour
Glow Plug

1.9 tdi mounted upright in vanagon

Post by detour »

I finally bought a tdi from a 1998 Jetta. Presently the 1982 Vanagon has a 1.6 turbo engine from a 1985 Jetta that I installed. Because it was so crowded in the turbo area, getting an aftercooler adapted never got done.

As it was I had to modify the deck lid to get it to fit. I'm thinking I should mount the tdi upright to provide plenty of space for aftercooler and air cleaner. I'd like to put scoops on either side of the body, one for air intake and the other for the aftercooler.

Has anyone mounted a tdi upright? I'm guessing I'll need some sort of adapter for the bell housing to clock the engine/tranny, but I haven't pulled the 1.6 turbo out yet to look at old versus new.

I can weld aluminum and stainless, and have access to a waterjet cutter. This time around I'm going to build the whole assembly in the shop first. I'm sick of laying on concrete.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

I don't know if it is ok to post another vendor, but look here. http://www.eurospecsport.com/products/V ... 0Page.html I have zero affiliation with this company, but they show a installation kit for an upright install into a vanagon. I have an ALH TDI in my 82 Diesel vanagon laid over at 50 degrees like stock. I did have to notch and cover my engine cover for the engine to fit. Mods, If I have violated by posting another vendor please delete. thank you
detour
Glow Plug

Upright tdi

Post by detour »

Thanks, at least I know I'm not crazy. It looks like they may have the adapters I need.
vwtyp133
Turbo Charger

Post by vwtyp133 »

KEP http://www.kennedyeng.com/ has multi-angle adapter for VW 4-cyl. diesel in Vanagon, including straight up IIRC.

J.R.
SoCal
armandjones82
Glow Plug

Post by armandjones82 »

You have mentioned something about Deck Lid in this thread. In modifying it, I think you need to really get something out of it and really try to get things straight and good in order to make some good stuffs or good things running for your vehicle. I hope that would help.
joat
Turbo Charger

Re: 1.9 tdi mounted upright in vanagon

Post by joat »

also check out AUDI intake hoses and intakes ( to get better clearance above the motor ) ... don't forget to add sound deadening to the underside of your new deck lid ... or you won't be able to hear yourself think ... very loud.)

the 50 degree is the best solution, modified oil pan and modified turbo return hose, gives the best ground clearance.
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist