aaz valves and springs

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

moby
Cetane Booster

aaz valves and springs

Post by moby »

Hello, I've got a AAZ out of a 96 golf (Canada) . Where's the best place to get new valves for it? Also is it true that the AAZ's only had the outer valve spring, no inners on mine. Did some one take them out? If they did, can i replace them with some inners from a 1.6 Na mechanical head? Thanks in advance. Paolo
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: aaz valves and springs

Post by Quantum-man »

As posted elsewhere...

Reading up; AAZ had inner and outer springs, up to 1996/7ish, then had only one spring, whilst the 1Z and AHU began/carried on the dual spring setup. Code was 028 109 623 A, outer, and 028 109 633A inner, later the single spring was 028 109 623B
Interestingly it seems the AAZ continued to be issued with the dual spring 'carrier'
Finally ABA,and AAC came along with the 028 109 623 'C' outer, no inner
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
moby
Cetane Booster

Re: aaz valves and springs

Post by moby »

Interesting, seems I should stick with the one spring setup. It does have the upper "carrier", which is the same 2 spring design as the 1.6. It has no lower "carrier" however, the spring rests direcly on the cylinder head! Doesn't seem to be any wear on the softer aluminum after 200,000 miles, guess they knew what they were doing. Paolo. P.S, still looking for valves to buy. Thanks, Paolo