tdi or idi what do you people like better???

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Re: tdi or idi what do you people like better???

Post by vanbcguy »

I think it all depends on what you want out of the car and where your skills lie. Economy on a TDI will be a bit better, but you can get bitten by higher repair costs which may well wipe out your fuel savings. I've heard the IDIs are better at burning veggie / bio / whatever than the TDIs but I don't really have any experience to back that up.

Canadian A3's didn't get TDI till '97 so there's the AAZ as an intermediate step too. More torque than the 1.6, better sized turbo, still more or less nothing from an electronics perspective.

I like how much I can fiddle with my 1.6 with nothing more than a few tools. There is something to be said for a car where you can increase the max RPM of the governor with a piece out of an old bike chain. If you are computer savvy though a full TDI with VAGCOM will open a whole world of tuning that is at best guess and test on a mechanical motor.

And Hagar, Jezebel is anything BUT quiet despite her IDI motor... ;) She is good at scaring children, getting dirty looks from the neighbours and I never have to worry about someone walking out in front of me!!
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
vixentd
Cetane Booster

Post by vixentd »

Having both, a 1993 passat aaz and a 1997 tdi, the power is better and mileage on the tdi. However the main difference on the highway is the speed of the motor. The final gear ratio is different on the tdi allowing it to run about 500 rpm less on the freeway at 100 km/h. Much quieter!
If it doesn't rattle it isnt a diesel! 35mpg for a motorhome! 106 mph! www.vixenrv.org
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Would a M-TDI be the best of both worlds or an expensive hassle.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

Personally I think the M-TDI would be a great way to go if you're doing a swap - you get a fair amount of the TDI's benefits without the complexity. Trying to swap a TDI with all its electronics into a non-TDI car sounds like hell to me!!

The big deal is the pump. You need someone who really knows what they're doing to make an M-TDI pump that actually works well.
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think Gilles has reputation for building the best M-TDI pump. But how does this set-up stack up against the regular TDI for starting and economy. A lot of the M-TDI crowd is just into smoking tires and stealing the I.P. off my 3.9 4BTA.
94 Grand Caravan
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Post by hagar »

tdi or idi what do you people like better??? 91mk2 .

Are you asking DI direct injection versus IDI Indirect injection ? what I hagar likes better ? hands down IDI .

Why ? whirlchamber system works well , when TUNED to complete combustion... ( ECO mode).

hagar.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Well my curiosity got the best of me. I when over to the dark side and bought a TDI. I would say it doesn't have the same diesel experience as the IDI. Its like driving a gas car that rev's half as much. You can't make it smoke no matter what you do. Very little vibration and noise. You can turn the AC on and it doesn't take half the power out of the engine. I've only had it for a short time so time will tell what the maintenance will be. So far I prefer it.
94 Grand Caravan
Una
Cetane Booster

Post by Una »

I intend to put a TDI into my Rabbit at some point in the future.. Just need a totalled TDI car to fall into my lap for a steal of a price. In the mean time I'll probably just turbo the motor I have now.
'81 Diesel Rabbit
'88 Dodge Omni
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I would think the chances of an engine falling in your lap to be pretty small. People are not changing the timing belt soon enough and popping engines out left and right. So there is a large demand for engines. Engine ,wiring harness, and gauge cluster sell for well over $2000 and that's what I payed for my whole car. I was watching for a engine for 2 years with no luck.
94 Grand Caravan