Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

abadcliche
Glow Plug

Looking for a family car/vanagon

Post by abadcliche »

Hello everyone,

I am on a search for a good family car- either a wagon, a 4 door, or a vanagon. I've got a 79 Rabbit, but its a two-seater and with the potential on the horizon for some little ones, I'm on the lookout to replace my wife's aging and unfit diesel benz wagon with a rather more fit car. I like working on my Rabbit and feel like it would be cool to own another VW where my tools and experience would count for something, plus I'm bitten by the VW bug.

So, anybody have a car/vanagon that fits the bill? A diesel vanagon would be super awesome, and would make my car look fast and carry a lot of gear while not burning fuel like its still cheap. I'm not in any huge rush (trying to get rid of the benz and acquire a replacement by November) and I want to get something that will last quite a while and get good mpg while we are at it.

I am located in Raleigh, NC.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Re: Looking for a family car/vanagon

Post by Quantum TD »

Pickings are slim if you're looking IDI. Passat came in a TDI wagon in the B4 and B5 platform, but they are hard to find, fetch a chunk of money, and are usually pigged out (well, at least the B4 versions of 1995-1997). You could probably find a Jetta TDI Wagon in the 1999-2004 range for a fair price (about $5000-9000).

Diesel Vanagons are highly sought, and fetch a fair price. I find them on the Samba all the time with blown motors and people are still asking silly money ($4000+ for a camper version). That setup was a horrid idea. A 1.6NA pushing 5000-6000 lbs of steel and rubber (without people in it!). The motors in those Vanagons didn't last long at all. They really need a 1.9TD, or minimally, a modified 1.6TD. Finding one "ready to go" with a turbo motor will set you back even more.

The only other "wagon" option is the 1982-1985 Quantum 1.6TD wagon. I have one (not for sale). They tended to be run hard and hung up wet. They'll almost ALWAYS need motor rebuilds.

That's why I'd say go TDI. The basic mechanics are the same, but because the motors are more power-to-weight appropriate, the motors tend to hold up a lot longer. The old 1.6NA was just too weak in any application other that the MK1 or MK2 sedans. To be honest, they were probably too weak even for the MK2. Th unmodified 1.6TD was adequate in the MK2 and in the Quantum, but were never overwhelming.

The switch to TDI ain't that bad. The difference is that you need computer to do a lot of the repairs. You get used to it. Buy a Vag-Com and you'll be set for about 95% of what you'll need to do to your car (whatever it may be).

If a 4-door is all you seek, and you'd prefer to stick to the IDI motor, then I'm sure there's a clean MK2 Jetta Turbo Diesel with your name on it. Try to find an ECOdiesel, and then make the switch to a boost-enriched pump. The ECOdiesel motors seem to hold up better than the earlier 1.6TD with mechanical lifters.
abadcliche
Glow Plug

Post by abadcliche »

Excellent information, well thought-out, well put, and extremely helpful. Thank you very much.
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

abadcliche wrote:Excellent information, well thought-out, well put, and extremely helpful. Thank you very much.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you're looking for. Diesels are still reasonably priced at the moment, but that's sure to change in the coming months. People are speculating regular gas at $4. a gallon. That may happen sooner than we might expect with all the mid-east unrest (it always makes for a tumultuous market with all the kuntbag oil-speculators driving the price up based on fear).

I'm not trying to rush you, but you may want to get a start on that search.
abadcliche
Glow Plug

Post by abadcliche »

Will do, and agreed re: fuel prices. They are already $3.50 for diesel in my area. I've found a guy in NC who does a lot of work on Benz diesels that would give us a good trade-in value on our TD for parts/repair, and he is keeping an eye out for a clean w123 for us. That is probably what we will end up doing, but I am sorely tempted to look for something even less thirsty.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Consider also the Quantum TD sedans; they're nice as well! They look a bit like Camry in size. Same as the Audi 4000 I believe. They get superior mileage and can keep up with anything on the road.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Here's a wagon it would be nice to throw a diesel in:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ght=dasher
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I do live in my own little world but I have never seen these little beauties in the Great White North.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/