A big decision...

Moderator: Fatmobile

Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

A big decision...

Post by Coleslaw »

I have another thread going in the projects category that is somewhat of a prequel to this post. My project is rebuilding a 1.6td. I had thought of using that motor in a few different vehicles, caddy, rabbit, even a toyota pickup, but what I have decided on is the vanagon. And I really want a westy. I took a three hour drive to maine, I'm in new hampshire, to look at what might be my van. I wasnt able to take any pictures, but i'll try to describe its condition.

Its an 82 aircooled with a 4 speed, which from what I understand is the ideal transmission for the intended motor swap.

The body shows its age but there is no rotting that I could see.

The front end is a little banged up and will need light body work.

The interior is dirty but no rips and I think the carpet will clean up nicely.

The radiator is no longer in it

He has good canvas for it

It sat for the last two years I believe, which worries me

Here is the ad below. I guess I'm just wondering if this is a good deal and if there is any other things I should look for?

Thanks in advance

Van was prepped for engine restoration all parts for and aircooled engine are loose in boxes inside,i bought it cleaned the interior and power washed the outside, van was from arizona and is very dry it had an rx7 motor in it, a few dents in the front and a filler cap door, for radiator, I payed the bill for the labor owed on the vehicle (2000), now i need money and have plenty of other VW project and vans. i have a good canvas for it also

1800 obo
rsxsr

Re: A big decision...

Post by rsxsr »

Little confused. The 82 aircooled Vanagon would not have come with a radiator. It sounds like it had a rotary engine in it, so someone must have cut the front nose for the radiator and added the coolant pipes. Normally I would recommend avoiding an air cooled chassis if the intention is to convert it to water cooled. Better to start with a watercooled model. Sounds a little high for something that has so many unknowns, but an arizona chassis should be solid. If you want heat, you will also need to do something about adding a heater core.
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

Thanks for the input. I hadn't even thought about the heater core, how does aircooled heat work?

I had been thinking and looking for other vans, I found a weekender thats in good shape for 2200. This one I could drive home. It seems like a big difference in price for the westfalia vs. basic vanagon. I have yet to go look at it but here is the ad.

sale-xq29u-2263178821@craigslist.org
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Aircooled vanagons have heater boxes around the exhaust header pipes. There is a squirrel cage blower on the alternator that blows air across the heat exchangers and then up front to a distribution box behind the dash. To pricing. The Westfalia, should have a pop top and a complete kitchen from the factory. My understanding of the Vanagon Weekender, was that it has a pop top and no kitchen. The table is mounted to the d/s wall and there is a jump seat facing rearwards behind the driver's seat. A basic vanagon, referred to as a "tin top" or passenger van, will have an extra row of seats. There may be other versions, but I don't know where you are located. There is also a High Top vanagon version. I don't think it was a US option, but basically has a fiberglass hard top that is permanently up. The US got only a few options.

There are arguments for why each is better. We like our Westfalia and use the kitchen 3 times a day when camping. The weekender has more space and is better suited to cooking and cleaning outside. The tin tops can be customized to suit your needs, but grafting a pop top to a tin top is a lot of work. Check over at the Samba for that info. I have had my vanagon for 4 years. There is not one bolt/nut that has not been touched. You can expect to go through and replace everything to have a reliable vehicle. You don't need to do it all at once, but it will need to be done. If it had a rotary engine in it, it must have been a Hot Rod.
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

I found an 83 westy, for 800$. I'll be looking at it Friday, and hopefully bringing it home Saturday. :)

Any specific things I should look for when looking this bus over?
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

For $800, you can not expect too much. Clear Title in hand first. For me, on a 25 plus year old vehicle, I'd like to see original paint and no rust. I can deal with everything else. Is 83 an air cooled or water cooled? If it is air cooled and the intention is to convert to diesel power, I would pass on it personally. The conversion is enough work without having to adapt an aircooled chassis to water cooling.
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

83 water cooled, In my state if the vehicles are old enough there is no title needed. I'm on the lookout for rust and rot.
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

they were also known for fast wear in the front end steering section.
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

I went down to look at that 83 Camper, and I got tailgated all the way home.

What an adventure... I had to go way out of my way because my local u-haul messed up my reservation for a car trailer. After about four hours on the road I dragged her up on the trailer and in another two and a half hours she was in my driveway.

Its an 83 water-cooled, with a four speed manual tranny.

120,000 miles on the original drive-train

original paint, carpet, camper equipment

I have some legit bodywork to do. The part I'm most concerned with is that passenger rear fender well

According to the previous owner it ran last fall, but after sitting all winter now it will only click. The starter is trying to turn the engine over but it doesn't have enough juice. I watched the engine while a friend turned the key. The crank moves but its only a bump, then nothing. I think i'll turn the engine over by hand give it a fresh battery and see what happens (after I get any squirrels out of the air-box of course)

Since I'm not diesel I think i'll move the thread... thanks for all the help
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

pull the plugs and squirt in some penetrating oil , let sit for a couple of hours . then try to move by hand ( or 4th gear and tow slowly )
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

You got a hell of a deal. Even with the seam rust. People are asking silly money for these things now. Seems to have started about 8-10 months ago. You paid what was normal about 1 year ago. Now, something like yours would get about 2K or better, even not-running.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think the baby boomer are starting to reach retirement age and trying to live their past over again. They want to paint flowers on them and go back to Woodstock.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Coleslaw
Cetane Booster

Post by Coleslaw »

I've always wanted one but they seem to hold serious value, and thats one of the main reasons I chose this for a project. I used to be big in 4-wheeling, spending money on suspension lifts, tires, bumpers, winches... when it came time to sell my jeep that I had put thousands into I could hardly get 2000 for it. I feel like I could restore this bus, use it, then sell it and get a better percentage of my money back as opposed to a caddy with a 1.6td or a toyota 1.6td. Plus my wife loves it and cant wait to go on a trip. :)

I did get it running with the pb blaster in the cyl and a fresh battery,
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

As a baby boomer reaching retirement age, it has nothing to do with reliving our past. We get about 30mpg. It is perfect for "low profile camping", easy to drive and to park. The closest option would be a camper based on the "sprinter" chassis and they are not cheap. Ours is original paint and we have no plans to paint flowers on it or hang beads from the windows. Until VW wakes up and starts bringing in some of the camper models from europe, the vanagon will be the most bang for the buck. But plan on replacing everything sooner or later. These are in some cases almost 30 years old. If you want to drive to the middle of nowhere, you need to be able to count on your vehicle. Rant over.