New user, big rabbit problems

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

johnnyc
Glow Plug

New user, big rabbit problems

Post by johnnyc »

Hey guys!

I love, love this forum. Thank you for creating this resource. I read around, tried some things, and STILL couldn't get this car moving!

My story;

I picked up a 79 rabbit 1.5L diesel with a blown headgasket about 5 years ago for free. It had the round headlights and a 4 speed. I couldn't pass it up. About three years ago a friend sold me a running/driving 1.5 and transmission.

recently, I moved back to the country from the city and thought I would put this project together. I put in this running/driving motor with a new timing belt and a new clutch (what is this stepped flywheel nonsense?!?!) in the rabbit.

I go to start this sucker and...I have a no-start condition. The car will turn over (new starter, battery) 'catch', run for a second or two, and die. Putting my foot to the floor on the gas pedal doesn't seem to effect it in the slightest.

Potential causes I can identify/more info to diagnose this problem:

1) the windshield leaked badly while I was away (Washington state, thanks) and all of the fuses and underdash panel got soaked. My glow plug relay literally fell apart inside and had a puddle of rustwater in it. I dried everything out with a 12v heater, but I haven't replaced my glow plug relay yet. Could it be the car can't compression start without glow in mid 50's temps? I really don't think this is the problem.

2) when I crack the injection lines I got fuel in all of them.

3) I have power to the injection pump (I don't remember the voltage)

4) I attached pictures of my timing marks. COULD MY TIMING BE FAR ENOUGH IT WOULDN'T RUN? I loosened up the pump and moved it back and forth and it didn't seem to make any difference in this condition.

5) I have a Bosch pump, not a Cav. I DO NOT have a pump primer, which my chilton manual seems to think should live on my filter housing. Does it need some kind of priming!?

My best guesses:

1) The pump or injectors somehow went bad from sitting 3 years under cover. I'm not getting the fuel volume I need.

2) It's a timing issue. I got the timing belt a tooth off or something.

IDEAS?

Rabbit_above view_timing2.JPG
Rabbit_above view_timing1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnyc
Glow Plug

Re: New user, big rabbit problems

Post by johnnyc »

Another thought;

I didn't find (much to my surprise!) any mention of a fuel pump in my Chilton manual. I see the spot for the relay underneath the dash ("L" I think) and it *does* have power, but Chilton says it is for 77+ spark cars.

Do I have a fuel pump and could it be bad?
coke

Post by coke »

Your injection pump is your fuel pump. It is possible the "Fuel sucking", or vane pump side is bad and not drawing fuel.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

From what I read, this car has been sitting for something like 5 years?
johnnyc wrote:Could it be the car can't compression start without glow in mid 50's temps?[/i] I really don't think this is the problem.
Yes, operational glow plugs are required on some engines even when warmer than 50F out to get them to fire.
johnnyc wrote:when I crack the injection lines I got fuel in all of them.

I have a Bosch pump, not a Cav. I DO NOT have a pump primer, which my chilton manual seems to think should live on my filter housing. Does it need some kind of priming!?
Since you're getting fuel out of the IP when you loosen a line, the IP is likely full of fuel.
johnnyc wrote:The pump or injectors somehow went bad from sitting 3 years under cover. I'm not getting the fuel volume I need.
I'm going to go with the same diagnosis as Coke, maybe the vane pump inside the IP is stuck and won't suck and deliver enough fuel. You can try to bottle feed the car and see if an elevated source of fuel will help, but I don't believe that this has worked well with others in the past. It helps get things running first, but it won't compensate much for a stuck vane pump.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
johnnyc
Glow Plug

Post by johnnyc »

Ok -

So if I am reading your guesses right - a bottle feed or handpump inline between the filter and the IP would be a way to diagnose if the Vane side of the pump is sticking?
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

and jumper the glow plugs to the battery + directly to make sure they're heating up (20 seconds)..... then disconnect and get in and try starting it... pedal to the metal and crank.... ease up if it starts.
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

I'm guessing stick pintles in the injectors. I had a motor sitting in my garage for 5 years. The pump did it's job well enough, but the pintles were all frozen. I had to free them up by disassembling and freeing the pintles.

Good times.
johnnyc
Glow Plug

Post by johnnyc »

Thank you for all the ideas guys.

It seems like if it'll run on a handpump providing enough fuel pressure, it's an injection pump issue, eh? If the handpump doesn't change the nonstart condition, and I do a 20 second glow 'shortcut', it sounds like one thing it could be is injectors.

I will investigate soon and let you know what more I am finding.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't want to get your hopes up,..
but sometimes after they start and run for a while,
the vanes will start sliding again and the pump will pull it's own fuel.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

If the vanes are stuck from varnished diesel rather than corrosion, a soaking in Diesel Purge has been reported to free them.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?