Fuel line failures

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Re: Fuel line failures

Post by Quantum TD »

I really have no idea how you could have done that, unless the notch in the piston was not aligned with the pin on the back side of the camplate (the green-circled pin in that pic I posted). But even that doesn't make much sense.

I've never seen that before.

I think you need to buy the piston and distributor head as a matched unit and/or buy a used pump and take the internals.

That sucks.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

the pin was lined up; I opened it carefully to see if I had lined the pin up right to begin with so I don't think that could have done it. It looks like a shear fracture rather then a radial so I'm thinking the governor pin may not have been seated right and when I put the top on it pushed down on the piston. I was careful not to force anything and the top popped into place so I'm a little mystified still...
Last edited by WAgrower on Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
82 Westy with an 85 1.6TD
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That snapped without even being turned by the engine?

The only time I've seen that on here was when syncronaut (or something close) changed the big o-ring on the head, while on the car, horizontal.

The plunger dropped off it's center seat, wasn't in straight center and the engine was turned, Shoved the plunger into the head at an angle.

Get a core used pump,.. the head will probably be good.
Plunger and head should be sold together.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Ya I'm a little puzzled by how it happened too. Best guess so far was the governor pin rotated the collar and when I torqued the top on it was still at an angle and snapped.

I also have tracked down a couple of head units with pins and some old pumps thanks to the community :D
WAgrower
Diesel Freak

Post by WAgrower »

Ok well new head and piston are on the pump and the pump is in the van and HOLDING prime! So things are looking good so far.

Only issues I'm having are with starting and the RPMs hanging slightly. It takes about 5-8sec to get it to fire (sometimes 2 tries) where as before it would fire right up. Is this becasue the elx pump would force fuel through the pump right away and now the vain pump takes a second to engage, or is that a sign the smoke screw/ timing/ something else are out of adjustment?

The RPM's are hanging slightly between shifts but this could be the way it likes to run; it's nothing too bad, just something I noticed from the old pump and the new pump. Could this be the smoke screw adjustment? I noticed I have a bit more power then before so it could be rich I suppose.

Or are both these issues pointing to something else I'm missing... the timing is at 1.00 and all clear fuel lines show no air into or out of pump.

All that being said I really like the way the van was driving so after lunch it's out for a freeway!

Thanks!