3.5yr rebuild project done, but gutless... help?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: 3.5yr rebuild project done, but gutless... help?

Post by 82vdub »

Blue dyed diesel is agricultural or military grade (I believe) and red is heating oil. Some diesel fuels that I've gotten at the pump look from clear to yellow to almost a fluorescent green color when viewed through my clear fuel supply line.

On another thought, is that pic an in-progress pic, or is it actual installation? I noticed no clamps on the fuel lines, which could lead to the IP sucking air instead of fuel.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Pic is of my "finished" car. I did get some bubbles in my fuel supply hoses, so I added clamps there, but the return and leak-off seem to be ok without clamps. I get a few bubbles a while after shut off and for a bit right after startup, but none after it's been running for a while.

The hose is that fancy "tygothane", I had to cut a hose off one barb already because I could not pry or pull it off after installation. Good stuff.

The fuel looks a normal yellow in my fuel lines but in the tank it's a nice greenish-blue. Shouldn't be algae as the tank held only gasoline for the last 3.25 years, I just added diesel a few weeks ago. I bought it at the local Chevron so if it's illegal it's not my fault. :mrgreen:
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Una
Cetane Booster

Post by Una »

Yeah, the fuel in my tank last weekend was teal blue, but I didn't put it there, so I don't know the story on it. Sounds like your Chevron fuel was the same. I think as long as it's not bright red, you're golden. :)
'81 Diesel Rabbit
'88 Dodge Omni
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Ok, I got the smoke screw turned up (an adventure in itself, it seems it had a dab of JB-Weld holding it on) to where I get a nice gray haze when I get on the throttle. And the car now accelerates like I would expect my Rabbit to do, if it had an extra 500 pounds and a taller final drive. I didn't do any further testing because my shifter clamp slipped and I have to push the shifter down to get into first gear, so that's Yet Another Project I get to do. But at least it's a normal VW diesel gutless instead of a rev-to-3000-to-avoid-stalling at every start. :lol:
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I've never driven a well-tuned 1.6 NA or 1.6 turbo, so the only frame of references I have are gutless VW diesels! I know this isn't how it should be though.

I'm anxious to see what kind of MPGs you're getting after you've run a couple full tanks!
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO