repair blend door= heat

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

godsend789
Glow Plug

repair blend door= heat

Post by godsend789 »

so i always wounded why i had no heat in the car. this winter i had my fill i was in that Chicago blizzard lol very very cold. so a finally decided to try to figure out why some mild heat came out floor and defrost but cold out vents. after reading much on the forum i determined that the blend door or doors were leaking.. also explained all that foam crap coming out the vents.so my question in on repair i found a post on repair using a good way i think..viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6709&hilit=block+rebuild but all i see in this subject is the repair of the outer door. what about the inner one or two how much do u repair or is repair even needed on the inner doors. and just a thought do u really have to cover the whole door? could u just cover the open circles with something.. i only ask because of the inner circles that may need to be sealed i do not think i could cut to fit exact because of the fact i do not plan on taking the heater box out. 85 jetta with a/c thanks
godsend789
Glow Plug

Re: repair blend door= heat

Post by godsend789 »

well i feel stupid lol those back doors i was talking about.. i was cleaning the box and found out they were the blend doors :shock: might need those patched to have both heat and cold :D. but still am wondering if i should just batch hole or the whole doors and there does seam to be a gap on the top and bottom of them is this normal? is a very small gap 1/4 inch maybe
joat
Turbo Charger

Post by joat »

seal it all up (any leaks reduce the heat in winter) wide white foam used to stop house door drafts at those 1/4"gaps.
1992 Jetta (gasser to TD 1.6)
2000 TDI Jetta
1990 Jetta (Gasser RIP @ 875,000Km)
1976 Rabbit (RIP)
1972 Superbeetle (RIP)
1971 Fastback (type 3 RIP)

A pessimist is a well informed optimist
TylerDurden
Turbo Charger

Post by TylerDurden »

I reached in and covered the doors with gorilla tape (on another, I used foil ductwork tape), I wasn't that careful about the gaps.

I tried to get as much old foam bits out of the core as possible, by blowing air back through the core the opposite of the normal flow, and using a vacuum cleaner to extract the bits.

The heat is now ridiculously good.
Have a nice day.

'91 Jetta ECOdiesel TD - clean & complete (less motor/tranny) for sale

'82 Westy Vanagon 1.9 N/A - 23.5mpg
'86 Jetta TD - 45-50mpg
'81 Dasher Wagon 1.6 N/A - 52mpg
'84 Wasserboxer - DOA, parts donor
'94 Passat wagon VR6
'03 Jetta TDI wagon 230K, 52.3mpg
'89 Jetta N/A - 51mpg
'82 Caddy 1.6 N/A - Sold